new to the site and have a question about 4tgte motor.

Take the time and tell us a little about yourself

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

jrarinas

new to the site and have a question about 4tgte motor.

Post by jrarinas »

Hi guys and girls. New to the forum and to give you guys some background, if been a long time toyota fan and just a couple of years ago, sold my last 86 to get deeper into the toyota roots and landed a 72 Carina. Currently in the works, I ran into a couple of motors to be sold as a combo. One is an original 4tg and a 3tg for spare parts. The 3tg has been rebuilt bored out with large pistons. My question is regarding the 4tg. The owner broke it down to rebuild and my concern is wether or not its the real deal or not. What should I look for? He said the block is 89mm which coincides with the race motor but not entirely sure. Also, does the block vin have any relevance to wether or not its a real 4tg? Thanks in advance for you guys' help and will be posting here more often now that im out of the 4age scene.

Rudy
Oceanside, CA
73GTV

Re: new to the site and have a question about 4tgte motor.

Post by 73GTV »

I think I posted some information on this at another site. It had pictures and facts sheets on the 4-GT and 3-TG.

http://www.classic-celica.com/modules.p ... pic&t=3026
Stock 4T-GT yes it is but not the Racing engine, No not even close. Here is some history about those engines, if you can read Japanese, you will have most of the story. Stock info, Production timeline, and Race version disassembled, You are welcome.

If I were you, I would rebuild this to insure it was totally complete and then price it for how rare it actually is. My two Cents, after all, a few thousand yen, well invested from your original purchase, may actually pay off with a little more effort.
Last edited by 73GTV on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

Rudy, i end up with a 4tgte once and get the engine from a guy who end up selling the block and he give me a 3tgte block with all the 4tgte parts with the only missing part of a cam gear dowel pin, i came across a lot of haters and a lot of discussions about it when i try to sell it being one of the first haters The guy who owns Toysport, i did find a lot of info i translate most of it and to make the long story short it went to a good home, it was in almost perfect shape,

Anyway here is what you need to know Toyota purist will try to low ball your engine they will said it is not a real one cuz you piece it together they will do their best to not give your engine the credit and the value it deserve cuz for the solely reason they dont own it, if you own a real 4tGTE save it and put it together and put it in a safe, rebuilt the 3tgte and let it rip, the 4tgte supposedly there is only 200 examples of them and yes block VIN got to be with it being the lower numbers the more desirable ones moneywise, but is known that many more where produced.

Second, they are not 89mm as the race version of it (A TOTALLY DIFFERENT ENGINE INTERNALLY) and parts from the Production counterpart do not fit or are fabricated equally, but the valvecover,

Third, the 4tgte is only slightly larger than the 3tgte matter of facts it is the same block with a #4 stamped in it and .20 over to homologate the GROUP B rally ones by the FIA rules back in the day,

Fourth, Please dont let anyone tell you what you got is not what you think it is, (YOU GOT ONE OF THE HOLLY GRAILS OF TOYOTA HISTORY)
SF5 FOZZY
jrarinas

Post by jrarinas »

Thanks 73GTV and Toyota1515! Matter of fact, those are the same exact motors that I was referring to! This info definitely helps! My question still lingers a bit though. If only 280 4TGTE were made, then why are vins so hight as it shows on the block from 86beam's initial post?! I see the prominent "4T" numbers on the initial block and not being clear is what worries me. I"m gonna meet with him sometime next week and we will see what happens then.

Thanks again guys and thank you for welcoming me with open arms. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Rudy.
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Welcome ;)
The day we learn to think
jrarinas

Post by jrarinas »

So I was able to check out the motor and something dawned on me. If there were only 280 of the 4TGTE motors made, then why is the motor block numbered 4T 9008733? Also, the "4" didn't look to line up and not as deep as the "T". Could anyone chime in on this and help prevent me from making a bad decision? Thanks in advance guys!

Rudy.
73GTV

Post by 73GTV »

jrarinas wrote:So I was able to check out the motor and something dawned on me. If there were only 280 of the 4TGTE motors made, then why is the motor block numbered 4T 9008733? Also, the "4" didn't look to line up and not as deep as the "T". Could anyone chime in on this and help prevent me from making a bad decision? Thanks in advance guys!

Rudy.
I believe that since the original series was the 3T-G which also shared the same numbering system that the additional number within that series continued and that the 4 was hand stamped into the block at the factory just like some of the older modified cams as an example had the Hand stamping on their surface. I believe you are dealing with the real items. You would have to get confirmation from Toyota Japan which will take a lot of letters back and forth since they do not like publishing general information like that. If you found the original parts listing for that model car, it would list the chassis serial number and still not list the engine number series as easy information to come upon. (All my personal opinion, not worth squat)

http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~gtr/celica.html
http://www.powerful-cars.com/php/toyota ... roup-b.php
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

Just like this!

SF5 FOZZY
jrarinas

Post by jrarinas »

This was the same motor that im trying to trade for. Its all broken down and also missing the distributor. What do you guus think? I know the heads are completely different so might end up running a standalone for Ecu. Any thoughts? What do you guus think about the motor vin?
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

here is the 64,000 cent question,

Is the font style used in your engine the same as the one i showed you in this picture?
You see how the edges of the 4 are rounded and not sharp?

Cuz the numbers in the rest of the serial really don't match whatsoever!
SF5 FOZZY