new to the site and have a question about 4tgte motor.

Take the time and tell us a little about yourself

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

jrarinas

Re: new to the site and have a question about 4tgte motor.

Post by jrarinas »

Yeah the font for the "4T" seems a bit bigger but the "4" looks slightly tilted from the "T". My fear is that the block vin was filled and re-stamped! That's the main thing. He also measured the bore and showed 88.7 or so. I like the rarity of the motor but want to make sure its the real deal before going ahead with the rebuild.

Another point is the distributor. I believe he has one but the cap is broken. I know that the head is a completely different beast so should I just save up for a good standalone for it? I was planning on running some 45 DCOE's on it as opposed to turbo. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance guys!!!
73GTV

Post by 73GTV »

jrarinas wrote:Yeah the font for the "4T" seems a bit bigger but the "4" looks slightly tilted from the "T". My fear is that the block vin was filled and re-stamped! That's the main thing. He also measured the bore and showed 88.7 or so. I like the rarity of the motor but want to make sure its the real deal before going ahead with the rebuild.

Another point is the distributor. I believe he has one but the cap is broken. I know that the head is a completely different beast so should I just save up for a good standalone for it? I was planning on running some 45 DCOE's on it as opposed to turbo. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance guys!!!
I hate to say this but, I sold a complete 3TG, Distributor cap and 3TG distributor back in 2010 to Joel at Toysport when Times were tough. There is a chance that he may have that distributor cap for sale. The hard item to find is the Rotor is like finding "Hens-Teeth".
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

I telling you, u better get a coil over plug setup and use 4 2001 Mitsu Montero coils that are dual outlet, but that is if going to 100% OEM is not so important to you, plus it will work 100% better too!
SF5 FOZZY
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

Also if going turbo i wont recommend anything over 87mm, the head design of the GTE is not suitable for N/A u could use it but not the best choice, matter of facts the 2tG head got better flow than the 3-4TGTE
SF5 FOZZY
73GTV

Post by 73GTV »

Toyota1515 wrote:Also if going turbo i wont recommend anything over 87mm, the head design of the GTE is not suitable for N/A u could use it but not the best choice, matter of facts the 2tG head got better flow than the 3-4TGTE
+1
jrarinas

Post by jrarinas »

Wow guys! Mind blown! I have mot bought the motors yet so I still have a choice! What would you guys suggest at this point? Its going in a 72 TA12 Carina and can go mild or wild depending on the motor I build. I've thought of the 4tg...obviously, a 2tg and keep it simple or a beams 3sge with some really wide wheel setup to match. Any suggestions?
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

Well is up to your tastes buddy, you got to put into consideration that in one side with the 4TGTE 2TG or even a 3TG hybrid you will run in hard to find parts and not as much easy to reach power, and in the other hand you got the Beams, easy to obtain power with and the benefit of a newer engine easy to get parts anywhere,

Only thing i know is that your bad ass ride will do awesome with either one!
SF5 FOZZY