Hey Everyone ! Im

Take the time and tell us a little about yourself

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

franimal

Hey Everyone ! Im

Post by franimal »

Hey Everyone ! My name is Francis and I'm from San Diego. I currently have a 1981 Toyota corolla 4dr. Here's a pic. Image

Still figuring out what I want to do with it but so far I've been driving it daily to save some mileage and gas on my Tacoma. the only thing I've done so far was swap the panhard bar because the original one was bent and obviously swapped the wheels because the original had a 4x100 wheels with a conversion spacer that was from the previous owner. I'm having an issue with smog because it's running rich and I think its the carb. Does anyone know of any smog legal carbs I can run ? Or if not I understand people run weber carbs but will it be red flagged by a smog tech ? Well anyways hope to meet you all ! Have good one !
pufito18

Re: Hey Everyone ! Im

Post by pufito18 »

nice nice welcome
baldo

Post by baldo »

Car looks like its in pretty good shape! I would love to hear about the carb problem fix. I dont know people that live in California. But I know you have to pass smog. So I thought you could run any carb as long as you can pass it. That means taking it to tune.
Is there a law to have stock carbs or whats the deal over there? There has to be guys running webers over there and passing it. Where are you guys at!? :lol:
franimal

Post by franimal »

baldo wrote:Car looks like its in pretty good shape! I would love to hear about the carb problem fix. I dont know people that live in California. But I know you have to pass smog. So I thought you could run any carb as long as you can pass it. That means taking it to tune.
Is there a law to have stock carbs or whats the deal over there? There has to be guys running webers over there and passing it. Where are you guys at!? :lol:
Yeah I read a couple posts on this forum mentioning something about a "DFT 9A redline weber" but also mentioned that it was rare. Scoured the web only to find "off road use only" carbs. I also found out that there was an executive order on the dmv/CARB(california Air Resource Board) which tells smog shop that its legal to replace the original? Not sure if thats heresy but would like to confirm that with someone here lol its kinda hard to get that info anywhere else, hoping someone can fill me in.
lvsanchete72

Post by lvsanchete72 »

I'm on the same boat as you franimal. I have a faulty carburator and am looking at the possibility of having to replace it. But first I'm going to a local carb shop.
Ive also read of the redline carb but looking through the California air resource board none of the executive orders include the 3TC engine which is what I have. There's one for the 2TC how ever, maybe that is from where people got the idea that they can swap their carb? Anyways wondering how this thing turned out for you. Also cool wheels, what size?