SoCal TE72

Take the time and tell us a little about yourself

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

lvsanchete72

SoCal TE72

Post by lvsanchete72 »

I have a 1981 Corolla, two door sedan. 3TC in it. Currently running but I have a big issue with it. The compression on the front-most cylinder is around 20 PSI and when I added some oil from the top the compression reading went up to 40PSI. Wondering what are my options. :?:

Other than that, hi I'm Luis, 3rd year college student. Working on this car since our was my dad's first and well it just looks awesome!
pufito18

Re: SoCal TE72

Post by pufito18 »

nice welcome maybe rebuild the motor bro jajaj
lvsanchete72

Post by lvsanchete72 »

How much do you think that will cost ? Compared to swapping to some other engine ?
baldo

Post by baldo »

Well first figure out what you want to do with it. Do YOU want to keep the engine or do YOU want to swap it out? After you get the answer to that or how you are going to get there is about money, think of it this way. Rebuild the engine = x amount. Swap the engine = custom fabrication, wiring, tuning etc = XXXXX amount. I mean you can get an engine of your choice for $500 or $800. But who is going to put it in and make it work and how much extra. Now you can rebuild the engine stock (cheap less than $1000) or put a turbo with pistons, cams and head work and just drop it in where it came from with the same HP or more of the engine you were going to swap it with. :mrgreen:
I mean you can put a jet engine in a car with no problem. :lol: But are you going to drive it everyday, street strip, street racing?....... Everybody on this site can give you 1 million ideas, at the end of the day we come back to the same question. What do you want to do to it? The next question people will ask is what engine are you going to swap it with? Its your car, make it how you want it! :D ;)
lvsanchete72

Post by lvsanchete72 »

I wanted to run the car as stock as possible until I gathered the necessary parts to go EFI and eventually turbo. I wanted a car I could drive on a semi-daily basis. I already have a commuter car so this could just be a weekend or every other day car. The problem with EFI is that I wanted to use MegaSquirt which isn't legal in California. How could I go EFI and then possibly turbo in California? Once I went EFI I'd like the car be a possible race track car not just a drag car.

The engine I had envisioned going in was a 4AGE blacktop. But wondering if I can get a reliable built 3TC with the amount I would spend swapping it.

Point is I want a fun car to drive which doesn't need to be the fasted but just reliable enough. I would like to go with the cheapest option just so I could get it on the road as soon as possible. I'm sure all this sounds pretty generic but I'm aiming for more power than the stock 3TC can do but also being street legal.
pufito18

Post by pufito18 »

1jz or 2 jz thats all i say jjjaaa
baldo

Post by baldo »

Do you know much about 3tc engines?...... "But wondering if I can get a reliable built 3TC with the amount I would spend swapping it". 30 years and just now you need an engine rebuild? Do you know what they say about these engines!? :shock: "I'm sure all this sounds pretty generic but I'm aiming for more power than the stock 3TC can do but also being street legal"..... You do know you can get 1000 HP+ with the engine you are trying to swap out right?
I guess there is no way to help you my friend because you have too many problems! :lol: You are looking for the cheapest engine until you can go efi and turbo but cant go megasquirt. You want to swap just to get more HP when you can get whatever power you want with the stock engine. The icing on the cake is that you also live in California.
3tc engines do not break, people break them. If you find an engine more reliable than a 3tc or Toyota engine, please let us all know.
Closing tip points for you. 1. If you are set to go with efi then get a 4ag, you will get the ecu and everything with it. Negatives? You want cheap and you have to fabricate to make it fit. 2. Get some head work, cam, clutch, carb upgrade, ignition upgrade, headers and tubing. Then let us know if its a reliable, fun car to drive and a street legal car. ;)
But wait, you live in California... :twisted: Looks like 4ag or make it a racing car and be done with it.
Have you thought about selling the car or trading it for a gts?
lvsanchete72

Post by lvsanchete72 »

I don't know much about the 3TC but I have seen all those insane builds that are used in drags. The reason why I wouldn't change the car is because I really like how the car looks, even more so than the GTS or the wagon or anything :o Second this was my dad's first car, we will both be working on what we can together.
Looking at everything I think I will take my time and restore the 3TC to stock, maybe upgrade internals and hoping I can pass smog and all that here in California.
I'd like to hear about people's set up for those who live in CA.

The problem with it only being a racing car I wouldn't have many places to use it here in SoCal. I just want to use the car for some canyon runs or just fun road trips.
baldo

Post by baldo »

Well at least you know what to do next, MOVE!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: That I know of most people have stock engines over there. There might be a few out there with upgrades somewhere.
Any people from Cali that can help out? I have a question. Do you have to pass smog once a year? If so I dont see why you cant get everything stock and test it. Then you upgrade it until next year and make it stock again. It will be a pain! But I dont see another way. That way you and your dad will have lots to work on together. :D
lvsanchete72

Post by lvsanchete72 »

Smog tests are every two years. What would be some upgrades that could be changed with a week of working on it? I mean internals seem to be a good thing to upgrade but I don't know how that would affect the smog and well going back to stock from that might be quite an inconvenience. Wondering what are some quick upgrades that can be reversed. How does my Californian comrades do it ?