Foxau2's 77 TE51 EFI - Last couple posts before scrapping

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

Foxau2

Re: Foxau2's 77 TE51 Megasquirt 2TG EFI

Post by Foxau2 »

I have a really nice one with a blown engine for sale if you're still wanting one.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1504
Foxau2

Post by Foxau2 »

Finally got some time over the weekend to reassemble the interior. It looks really nice with all the shiny stuff in there. :)

I also installed an O2 gauge for my WB sensor where the factory clock was. It fit nicely, but it sits really deep in the dash. Not a problem though because I can still read it.

Next up is to replace the windshield and get the steering wheel recovered.

Last edited by Foxau2 on Tue May 27, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foxau2

Post by Foxau2 »

The exhaust in the parts TE51 I got last week was nearly brand new. So I took that exhaust out and put it in this one and now I have a brand new exhaust system! It's so quiet now! I need to take it to an exhaust shop to get a bung for the O2 sensor welded back in there we're golden again! I'm looking forward to taking it to Yellowstone for a week in July. :)
Foxau2

Re: Foxau2's 77 TE51 Megasquirt 2TG EFI Cheap rear coil over

Post by Foxau2 »

I put together a set of cheap rear coil overs for my 77 Corolla tonight. P all together I'm about $50 for everything. I put a pair in my other Corolla 5 years ago and it was the best thing to help with the song rear suspension. I'm taking the car to Yellowstone for a week the end of this month so these will help the ride.

Photo bucket seems to have changed the app so I can't get the links. I'll edit and add them tomorrow.
UtahSleeper

Post by UtahSleeper »

Foxau2 wrote:I put together a set of cheap rear coil overs for my 77 Corolla tonight. P all together I'm about $50 for everything. I put a pair in my other Corolla 5 years ago and it was the best thing to help with the song rear suspension. I'm taking the car to Yellowstone for a week the end of this month so these will help the ride.

Photo bucket seems to have changed the app so I can't get the links. I'll edit and add them tomorrow.
Can you show them mounted and the parts you used? I may not do it any time soon(Dying motor and all), but the info is good to have.
Attempt at a car channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/UtahSleeper
1980 Corolla
1988 Celica Alltrac
2013 FR-S
3trolla79

Post by 3trolla79 »

Would the te51 dash and bezel bolt in to the te31?? Man yours looks so much nicer with the angle of the shifter bezel and dash
Mazota TE51

Post by Mazota TE51 »

Definitely interested in seeing those coilovers.
Foxau2

Post by Foxau2 »

Here are some pictures. I don't yet have them installed because my new apartment won't let me work on my car there. So I have to wait until I go up to my house this weekend before I can put them in.

Like I said, they are cheap, but I put 30k miles on the pair in my other corolla and they still worked great.

Here's the link to the springs: http://www.amazon.com/Superior-14-1890- ... M5EJ60R1A4
Foxau2

Post by Foxau2 »

3trolla79 wrote:Would the te51 dash and bezel bolt in to the te31?? Man yours looks so much nicer with the angle of the shifter bezel and dash
Anything is possible with enough time and money, but as far as a direct bolt on - I seriously doubt it.
Foxau2

Re: Foxau2's 77 TE51 Megasquirt 2TG EFI - Lots of updates!

Post by Foxau2 »

I spent all day Saturday and Sunday working on my car. We're leaving to Yellowstone this coming Saturday in my Corolla and there was a bunch of stuff that needed to be done.

Here's a quick list of what I did before I get into the pictures:

1-Cleaned brake dust and gunk off wheels using muriatic acid.
2-Used Oxalic acid to remove rust from roof rack.
3-Made new plastic end caps for the roof rack runners.
4-Installed rear coilovers and shocks
5-New windshield installed
6-Installed new seat covers

Cleaning baked on brake dust and other gunk from aluminum wheels is an absolute bear! I used an old friend to help me out. I used a diluted solution of muriatic acid and water with a stiff bristled nylon brush to clean them off. Don't let the solution dry on the wheels! Keep them wet then wash them really good with fresh water when you're done!

I had already started cleaning before I stopped to take a picture.

The cross bars on my roof rack were very ugly with surface rust. I used another old friend, oxalic acid, to remove it all. The difference is phenomenal! The pictures speak for themselves. This was done after about three hours of soaking. I filled up a 1 1/2" PVC pipe with Oxalic acid and let it do it's job. A pipe is a lot quicker than filling a tub!

The lower bolt in this picture was also in the Oxalic acid, the upper bolt was not. They both looked the same before. Oxalic acid eats works VERY well to remove SURFACE rust from chromed items. It doesn't fix the chrome, it just removes the discoloring and makes it look nice again. The rust will eventually return to my roof racks because the holes in the chrome are still there. I imagine it will be a couple years though.

The plastic end caps were all sorts of destroyed after 35 years in the sun. I fixed on of them, made a silicone mold from it, then duplicated it so I had eight brand new caps!

I thought I had a picture of the mold but I guess not. This is what a part looks like after pulling it from the mold before cleaning it up.

Here are the cheap coilovers after I installed them. It made the rear sit a bit higher (one of my goals in installing them) and the ride is a bit stiffer in the back. I can take bumps without bottoming out now. The ride will soften a bit with driving though.

My brother had a new windshield put in his 79 sports coupe about 5 years ago. Two months later a drunk driver crashed head on into him and totaled the car. The windshield didn't brake though. We pulled the windshield and it's been in storage every since. I finally decided it's time to install it in my car so I pulled it out and it was cracked. :( Luckily I have the black car I bought for parts and the windshield looked decent in it. So I decided I would pull that one and install it. After I got it out and cleaned up it looked absolutely brand new! Not a single scratch or rock chip in it. So I was happy about that. Cost me $125 to get it installed.

I pulled my windshield in advance and was greeted with rust along the lower lip as I expected. I don't really have any other pictures of the windshield other than these. I wire wheeled the rust as best I could with what I had in my garage. Ideally I would have sanded/ground the rust out then applied POR-15 to it, but that wasn't in the list of options.

The black parts car I purchased had really nice fitting seat covers. Both my front seats are in desperate need of being covered. I bought some dye on eBay in the hopes of dying them black. After 9 days soaking in the dye, it didn't affect the color in the slightest! Maybe I just purchased the wrong type of dye, but it didn't do a blessed thing!

I bought a set of hog ring pliers to install the new covers because I'm tired of the seat cover coming off as I slide my butt across the seat! The result is very tight, very nice looking seat covers! I just wish they were black.

These seat covers had a little bit of foam for some extra padding in them and they are nice to sit in. Perfect for 6 days in Yellowstone! It makes me sit a bit higher though, but that isn't much of a problem.