Ryan's TE31

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

hemilove

Re: Ryan's TE31

Post by hemilove »

looking good man keep up the good work. ;)
skellington

Post by skellington »

I took a buffer and some rubbing compound to my ridiculously oxidized paint. It's slow going, but I think its worth it. I'm about 1/2 way done. There are parts of primer and bare metal showing through, but it gives the car character.

skellington

Post by skellington »

I am ready to swap over some suspension components, but the seller of my camber plates sent me the wrong ones. I bought the triangle shaped ones and they sent the circle. The red springs are what I have in the car now. They are 320lbs at 7.5" tall. The new black ones are 10" at 300lbs, so it will make my ride a little smoother. the current rate is fine for the street for track feeling car, but i prefer a little softer and a taller spring. I also got thrust bearings to get rid of the popping noise that I get when cranking the wheel in parking lots.

skellington

Post by skellington »

Camber tops came in today. I can probably use either the round or triangle on my car. Looking at the comparison, The round will give me a lot more adjustability than the the triangles. The triangles will give me more metal around the bolts though. I am going to see how each of them fit. How much camber adjustability do you actually need? I'm looking at getting 2" lower and, and I want to keep my camber in check as to not unnecessarily wear out tires.

terx

Post by terx »

skellington wrote:I completed the SR5 struts. I made them into coilovers with stock strut tube size, a MR2 sw20 rear struts, spacer, and my 320lbs springs. It is a little- ok ok maybe a lot stiff. This was my test. The springs were free, so I can a buy a set of 10" 270-300lbs and have a better ride. I think I will take a 2" section out of the struts. It seems that my car is about 1" lower on the front with no body roll whatsoever. Pics, sorry some are a little blurry.

Just want say awesome ride. I just picked up a TE31. I plan to get some things done especially front brake/suspension. I got lost with this post. You mentioned earlier you used 82 Cressida assembly. In this post you completed the SR5 struts with MR2 rear struts. Did you replace the Cressida assembly with the SR5 assembly?
toyotero2dend

Post by toyotero2dend »

Besides the engine tranny etc. I would say your best score was the seats,hard to find in that condish.very lucky ;) Keep up the good work
Tate Quieto
skellington

Post by skellington »

terx wrote:
Just want say awesome ride. I just picked up a TE31. I plan to get some things done especially front brake/suspension. I got lost with this post. You mentioned earlier you used 82 Cressida assembly. In this post you completed the SR5 struts with MR2 rear struts. Did you replace the Cressida assembly with the SR5 assembly?
Ya, i built the cressida coilovers, but the steering arms have a different balljoint. I never used them on the car. If I get some cressida or supra arms I can midify them to work, but then I will also have to get the steering arms shortened, so It was easier just to use SR5 struts. They are still full length, sw20 mr2 inserts, with adjustable perches on them.
toyotero2dend wrote:Besides the engine tranny etc. I would say your best score was the seats,hard to find in that condish.very lucky ;) Keep up the good work
I love the seats too. They are starting to get minor tears on them, so I may redo them. I also have a complete rear seat setup in storage with the same perfect trim.
hkp

Post by hkp »

have you put the blocks on the rear yet?
terx

Post by terx »

I was wanting to know this too. After reading your post I went to Autozone and grabbed a 3" lowering kit. Came to dead end at first. Blocks won't sit because hole on bottom of block is smaller than the dowel pin of the base. Bought a 3/4" drill bit $20 Home Depot. Drilled the hole bigger using my drill press. Now they fit. Other issue is that U bolt is a bigger size bolt and will not go through the holes. U bolt also has a wider distance between the two ends so they won't line up with the base. I used my original U bolts and extended them 3". Everything is in. My back is pretty low now. I think I may take it to 2" or 2.5".
skellington

Post by skellington »

terx wrote:I was wanting to know this too. After reading your post I went to Autozone and grabbed a 3" lowering kit. Came to dead end at first. Blocks won't sit because hole on bottom of block is smaller than the dowel pin of the base. Bought a 3/4" drill bit $20 Home Depot. Drilled the hole bigger using my drill press. Now they fit. Other issue is that U bolt is a bigger size bolt and will not go through the holes. U bolt also has a wider distance between the two ends so they won't line up with the base. I used my original U bolts and extended them 3". Everything is in. My back is pretty low now. I think I may take it to 2" or 2.5".
I have not put the lowering blocks in yet. I traded the 3" for some 2". I planned on making the U bend smaller with a vice a hammer, and a piece of pipe. Original re-used U bolts scare me. You have to slot the plate that the bigger ones go through and redrill the holes that they bolt to. You will also have to shorten the remaining threaded part.