Post by skellington »

pufito18 wrote:nice i like your project
Thanks man.

Humm. Look what the post man has left:

I have my work cut out.
skellington

Re: Ryan's TE31

Post by skellington »

If I am shortening my front struts, I might as well get another set, so I can build them while still using the car. I just happened to stumble upon a 1982 Cressida at the parts yard. Looks like they should work.

Sweet vented brake upgrade too.

I heat pressure washed them to remove all the oil and brake dust, and stripped apart the hubs and brakes. Brand new brake pads on it.

Spring compressors and an impact drill makes this simple:

Plasma cutter cuts like butter:

And then the grinder to make them a little more manageable.

That's where I'm at with them so far. I have 320# springs for the front, but they are only 7.25" tall. I might have to get some of the same rate in 10". That's all i got for now.
skellington

Post by skellington »

More work done to cressy struts. I chopped out the middle, beveled the edges for better welding.
on the vice, ready for welding. That is the stock Cressida strut inside to line things up.
Weld her up
Then grind down the welds and check for holes: all good!
Shortened vs not
Cut small length of pipe for perch mount. Position so adjust-ability range is optimal.
Bases fitted and welded:
Add some primer and paint:
skellington

Post by skellington »

I assembled both struts, and I did some measuring of my car. From rough measurements, I should achieve about a 3" drop on the front of my car due to swapping the struts. I am not sure how much the springs will compress with the weight of the car on them though. Its a stock te31 and the new springs are 320#. With almost 3 inches already taken off, the spring compression might make my car lower than I really want it. I can opt for 8 or 10" springs for a little more height. As you can see my adjusters are topped out to achieve the height they are at now. With a 10" spring I can bump them up a bit more.
My steering arms look as if they are interchangeable. The Cressida one has 1" longer arms than the corolla's stock, So Ill try to use the corolla ones on the Cressida struts.
This is about the height I am am looking for, but a little higher:
Grumpy3TC

Post by Grumpy3TC »

My friend can you cut two of this round pipe perch to weld in the strut sleeve and how much you sell to me ,I need two of them.Thanks!http://toyota3tcgarage.com/download/fil ... fddb1d0601
Attachments
This are the one im talking about,Thanks
This are the one im talking about,Thanks
2013-09-28221013_zps0e5b970e.jpg (98.38 KiB) Viewed 15232 times
MY 3tc is so Grumpy! I feel like eating one or two Rotaries for breakfast today!
Grumpy3TC

Post by Grumpy3TC »

Meabe you said,What this is a simple pipe to cut,but the thing is I cant find a good pipe to cut two of this suckers,That is why Im asking you for help on this one ,please PM me.If you need money let me know to paypal you.
MY 3tc is so Grumpy! I feel like eating one or two Rotaries for breakfast today!
skellington

Post by skellington »

Let me see what I can do. I will be away from the shop for a while. If can't send you the pipe, Ill get the exact detentions of the pipe you need.
78sleeper

Post by 78sleeper »

What coilover kit did you use?
jec

Post by jec »

where did you order the lowering blocks from?
skellington

Post by skellington »

I have been messing around with struts again. I tore down the free set of SR5 struts that were given to me to compare some things with the cressida ones. So far I have noticed:
-The original strut tubes are the same length and diameter.
-The steering arms mounting points are wider on the cressida ones,
-and they put the balljoint at a different angle than the corolla ones.
-Balljoints slightly different. <- not 100% sure on this one yet.

So If I use the cressida ones it will suck the lower part of my front tire in bringing positive camber. I can adjust this out by using camber adjusters and it will narrow my track width just a little which would bring my MA61's inside the stock guard. I am not sure if the bigger brakes will push it right back out again or not...

I could always shorten the SR5 struts and retain my ability to run 13" tires. Who knows my Minilites may make their way to my 31. I want to get going on my suspension already, but my car is currently being used as a driver.