Kevin's TE27 Project

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

maxdout

Kevin's TE27 Project

Post by maxdout »

I've been a long time member and never posted my build. I'd like to share my build, process, lessons learned etc in case others are doing the same. Also hoping to get some pointers and tips! The overall te is in decent shape and has all original interior and windows.

some basic specs as she sits at the moment:

72 Corolla
4age 16v swap
5sp trans
Front Coilovers / Rear drop block
generic rota rims
cross drilled front rotors

all original interior except for the steering wheel.

a side shot the previous owner sent.
maxdout

Re: Kevin's TE27 Project

Post by maxdout »

basic bucket to do list:
lift the car up 1/2 inch or so - fix the rear.
figure out why the trans won't go downshift into 2nd.
improve brake feel/booster delete
improve steering

So I took the family out for a drive and the kids want to go to this random park that we drive by. During the drive I hear scraping here and there from the rear. At the park I verified only what I was dreading...

ripped up tires in the rear. :bawling:

So I when I got home, I rolled under the corolla to investigate the rear end and this is what I see. Looks original from 1972 or maybe changed 1 time.

After a few days of researching and private messages with other folks with TE27 experiance, I went and purchased the KYB AGX shocks for the 1989 camaro z28.
New shocks on the left - old on the right

The new shock needed to be modded just a tiny bit to work. I removed the pin from the original shock and inserted into the new shock, then trimmed the bushing down to fit.

My little helper putting the lug nuts back on the rear tires before we dropped the car and went for a test drive.
maxdout

Post by maxdout »

Updating the rear end on the te27.

1985 GTS Rear end disc to disc with oem lsd

maxdout

Post by maxdout »

This was much harder than I originally thought. I've removed the old rear end.

GTS Rear end taken apart.

You can see the 2 housings next to each other... as you can see, I have a problem.

the original is much smaller than the gts.

original measures close to 46 11/16

gts measures close to 50 5/16

Off to find someone who can make this work.
maxdout

Post by maxdout »

Mike @ TolleFab helped me cut all of the old stuff off of the GTS rear housing, shorten the axle housing and remount the leaf spring perches.

The final product from Mike

brake line tab

pearch
maxdout

Post by maxdout »

The hard part was finding someone to make me some axles. I had located 3 places that could possibly shorten my gts axles and make it to work with my new gts rear end. After talking with them and measuring the axles i had, I knew which place i was taking it to.

I ended up going with Spence at Wier Performance. He specializes in corollas so it was my best choice to go see him.
After many conversations with Spence, I had taken measurements of my axles, it was decided that my ae86 axles were not going to work. The width was not wide enough to cut it down and respline. Now I've run into a big issue. I had to find 2 axles that were not turned down too much that are stock. I knew this was going to be an issue since there are not that many axles available for purchase.

I then had the idea of using my TE27 axles, I measured them, talked with Spence and he also thought it would work. I gave him the measurements, he investigated and got back to me. I have to use some custom bearings and spacers but he informed that he could possibly make it work. I dropped off the items for him to work on. Spence investigated the items and looked to see if this was going to be possible. I lucked out and he was able to get my te27 axles to work.

However I now had another issue... the axle housing isn't straight... the bearings would not work correctly.

Spence came up with how he could fix this issue for me. Cut and rework the ends to ensure they are straight.

After the fixing
maxdout

Post by maxdout »

I have the rear end in and the new brake lines installed. The Ebrake cables installed as well. The te27 has been back on the road for 2 months now. However there is a new issue. Lots of tire rubbing. I've placed an order for some custom springs but they have yet to arrive. Ended up eating one of the rear tires really bad so I decided to get the fenders cut.

bad rears

Found me a shop [Fitted Garage] that would cut up the fender to give me some clearance until my new springs arrive.
rears

front
njccmd2002

Post by njccmd2002 »

bad ass, man. bad ass. what flares are u using..
Nothing here yet, just and empty space... I just wasted 10 seconds of your life when u finish reading this... LOL
maxdout

Post by maxdout »

I believe they are just fiberglass copies of the original metal ones which everyone wants but only a few rare lucky folks have.
Rolap7

Post by Rolap7 »

Nice, I thought you were gonna drive it out so I could see it. Glad you're up and running. Let me know when you want to meet up bro, I'd like to see this in person.
"As the excellence of steel is strength, and the excellence of art is beauty, so the excellence of mankind is moral character." - A.W. Tozer