Character, its only worth 200$

This is the area where you vent or otherwise call each ofter out.
You can go off, but mods can use their discretion

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

1.8te27

Character, its only worth 200$

Post by 1.8te27 »

A couple nights ago I was talking with my friend about first cars and I instantly thought about my high school daily, a 79 TE38. I got on craigslist Eugene, Oregon (I'm currently in Minnesota preparing to move back) and I couldn't believe my eyes. Here I was looking at my old wagon. It was in really rough shape but only 600$. I called the guy and talked I mean listened to him for 30 mins giving me every worthless detail about the car and after every detail he would say "I'm just trying to be honest with you" :roll: I never mentioned lowering the price and out of nowhere he says he'll go down to 500 for me and he is really happy that he knows where the car is going and someone is going to take care of it.

So then I never hear back from him for the next 24hrs after I emailed him my friend's contact info. So I called and he says someone offered him 700 and is just going to use the engine and transmission!! 700 for a 2tc 5 speed! The only thing that kept me from telling him exactly what was on my mind is that he was willing to give me the new owners contact info so I could buy the shell, which I still have yet to get.

I was so close to getting a car that holds so many dear memories back and an extra 200 that I would have gladly paid ended that deal and he didn't even have the nuts to at least call and say that this person is willing to pay more etc.

At least the car was in poor condition, there was a home made tow package which looked like garbage (do they ever look good?) and then the bumperless look which is equally bad. I'll find another clean example when I get back to Oregon where they are abundant.

Does anyone else have a shitty story like this?
oldeskewltoy

Re: Character, its only worth 200$

Post by oldeskewltoy »

1.8te27 wrote:A couple nights ago I was talking with my friend about first cars and I instantly thought about my high school daily, a 79 TE38. I got on craigslist Eugene, Oregon (I'm currently in Minnesota preparing to move back) and I couldn't believe my eyes. Here I was looking at my old wagon. It was in really rough shape but only 600$. I called the guy and talked I mean listened to him for 30 mins giving me every worthless detail about the car and after every detail he would say "I'm just trying to be honest with you" :roll: I never mentioned lowering the price and out of nowhere he says he'll go down to 500 for me and he is really happy that he knows where the car is going and someone is going to take care of it.

So then I never hear back from him for the next 24hrs after I emailed him my friend's contact info. So I called and he says someone offered him 700 and is just going to use the engine and transmission!! 700 for a 2tc 5 speed! The only thing that kept me from telling him exactly what was on my mind is that he was willing to give me the new owners contact info so I could buy the shell, which I still have yet to get.

I was so close to getting a car that holds so many dear memories back and an extra 200 that I would have gladly paid ended that deal and he didn't even have the nuts to at least call and say that this person is willing to pay more etc.

At least the car was in poor condition, there was a home made tow package which looked like garbage (do they ever look good?) and then the bumperless look which is equally bad. I'll find another clean example when I get back to Oregon where they are abundant.

Does anyone else have a shitty story like this?

Yes..... making a LOOONG story short... 5 years ago I was shopping for a Corolla to put a recently finished 4AG into. I found a 1983 AE71 hardtop. It was a bit rough (cracked 1/4 panel under side windows), but wasn't too bad otherwise. The owner wanted $650.00, I thought I'd be a smart shopper, I offered him $450. He said if he didn't sell it by the end of the week, it was mine. Needless to say... he sold it. To find a replacment chassis for my project, cost me $1200 and that was without an engine!!!!!!
1.8te27

Re: Character, its only worth 200$

Post by 1.8te27 »

At least the owner of the hardtop wasn't a total dick, from what I'm getting out of it. I just can't understand someone who gets excited and goes down on price without being asked then sells it to someone else.