unknown camshaft valve clearence?

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

osrolla

unknown camshaft valve clearence?

Post by osrolla »

So iv got this 3tc with an upgraded cam, only thing i know about the cam is that the previous owner thinks it might be a 295 cam, unknown facts, specs or manufacturer. So it has a valve ticking, put the clearence to factory spec but still ticking because it was grounded to make the cam bigger, so im wondering if i clearence the valves smaller and smaller, running it each time to hear for ticking. Would i be okay if o clearance into the point of not hearing any ticking?

I hate to do things Halfass, but can't afford the downtime to take cam out and hope there is a manufacturing number that could maybe tell me what cam it is.
82 te72, 1.8 3tc, cam, headers, weber 32/36. ALOT more to come!
Toyota1515

Re: unknown camshaft valve clearence?

Post by Toyota1515 »

Again the same ol story about the unknown cam, Always Always save the cam card and pass it if you sell car and if someone else is building your engine ask for it dont let him trow it away that is a part of the cam a cam without it is useless unless you got an expensive cam software and machine,

Anyway, you will need to take that cam out and check for regrind marks and brand and go from there if you dont find any your best bet is to trow it away and get a new one to start from ZERO!

good luck!
SF5 FOZZY
73GTV

Post by 73GTV »

baldo

Post by baldo »

You already messed up big time. Did it get worse when you did that? Instead of putting the lash to stock you should of checked where they were. That way you could of had an idea what it was supposed to be or close to it. What I would do to "make it work" is go to different cam sites. Isky, crower, schnider etc and look at the valve clearances they have for that cam. That way you can "average" what its supposed to be and go from there setting it until no knocking is found.
Sorry but this is a half ass way! :lol: