Engine cuts out when drifting.

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

gotae86

Engine cuts out when drifting.

Post by gotae86 »

Hey guys,
I brought my car to the track on last week and when I initiate a drift the engine loses power. I would have to back off the throttle and straighten the wheel to get power back to the engine.

I'm not the best mechanic out there so diagnosis isn't my forte. So the things I tried to resolve the issue was advancing the timing, readjusting the carb screws, and playing with the fuel pressure, all had no effect to the power loss.

I'm thinking that it's something to do with the fuel delivery, either too much fuel or not enough. When I was adjusting the carb there wasn't an overwhelming fuel smell nor was the carb wet which leads me to believe that the problem is fuel starvation. A friend thought the same and told me to increase the float level.

What do you guys think?

Car setup
2TC with a big cam
Custom high rise header (wrapped)
Stock intake with a 32/36 Weber DGEV
Electric fuel pump with a pressure regulator set at 3.5 psi
MSD 6al and coil
Base timing at 10 degrees
T50 transmission
Fully done suspension with the rear part of a roll cage
Last edited by gotae86 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skabrock5

Re: Engine cuts out when drifting.

Post by skabrock5 »

mechanical fuel pump?
gotae86

Post by gotae86 »

Electric fuel pump with a fuel pressure regulator set at 3.5 psi.
bryanhernandez3727

Post by bryanhernandez3727 »

Im having the same problem, but im not drifting at all its just when i hit the pedal to get speed it starts to pop like a back fire and then my engine revs high like if it got a shot of fuel. Its a 2tc with a 32/36 weber.
Corolla Kid
トヨタ
baldo

Post by baldo »

Im not an expert on drifting but there are a few things that makes me think about possible causes. 1, big cam 2, custom exhaust 3,stock intake and 32/36. First things first do you have a high pressure or high volume pump? That can be the fuel starvation problem. Second, big cam and custom exhaust might be too much for the intake and small 32/36. You should try to upgrade to a 38/38 and if it fixes the problem then go all out and get an offenhouser intake to go with it.
Again, not an expert but just something I would try to play with.
baldo

Post by baldo »

bryanhernandez3727 wrote:Im having the same problem, but im not drifting at all its just when i hit the pedal to get speed it starts to pop like a back fire and then my engine revs high like if it got a shot of fuel. Its a 2tc with a 32/36 weber.

On the other hand yours does sound like timing.
gotae86

Post by gotae86 »

@Baldo, thanks for chiming in. I have a strong suspicion that it's with the float level for when I go into a big corner it loses power. So I'm lead to believe that the fuel in the bowl is being sloshed around, bumping the needle valve closed. The engine feels strong in a straight line and pulls all the way to the rev limiter with no problems. The information I found about the float level seems to read that the float level on the bottom end should be 51mm. When I pulled the cover off it was set to 48. I've read that an aggressive setup should be around 45 which is what it's currently set at. I won't know until this resolves the issue until I can get to the track again. Stay tuned.

I would love to swap out the carbs. If I would have known about the 38/38 I would have bought that instead of the 32/36 but too late now. I do have a set of Mikuni PHH 44mm's but I don't have the correct linkage to swap it over.
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

Your carb dont like G forces as they are used also in the 4x4 world with the same symptom, they dont like sharp angles or G forces.
SF5 FOZZY
bryanhernandez3727

Post by bryanhernandez3727 »

baldo wrote:
bryanhernandez3727 wrote:Im having the same problem, but im not drifting at all its just when i hit the pedal to get speed it starts to pop like a back fire and then my engine revs high like if it got a shot of fuel. Its a 2tc with a 32/36 weber.

On the other hand yours does sound like timing.
Thanks ill check.
Corolla Kid
トヨタ
gotae86

Post by gotae86 »

Toyota1515 wrote:Your carb dont like G forces as they are used also in the 4x4 world with the same symptom, they dont like sharp angles or G forces.
By adjusting the float level I was able to drift through 4 corners but the last 2 corners the engine struggled. I'll adjust the float again and try it again.

I'll be posting videos soon.