Radiator question

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

gotae86

Radiator question

Post by gotae86 »

Hey guys,

I'm running a 2TC in an AE86 with a single row 86 radiator with an electric fan(puller). Is this enough cooling for the engine. From what I see, the stock radiator for a 2TC is a two row radiator.

Thanks in advance.

G
73te27

Re: Radiator question

Post by 73te27 »

If you run duals and headers, the motor usually runs cooler then stock carb and manifold. I would just run it and upgrade only if you need it.
baldo

Post by baldo »

Im not sure the 2tc comes in a 2 row from factory. But I mean both engines are 1.6 so. Its just me being picky if it was my car, but I would leave the radiator only if it had the twin cam engine in it. Again all 3 engines are 1.6, but its just me.
gotae86

Post by gotae86 »

Thanks for the replies guys. When I'm driving the engine cools just fine. When I do spirited driving (drifting) the engine heats up quick to the point that it almost boils over. I think I may have to upgrade to a dual fan system with a shroud and/or put a vent in the hood.
bubbajohnson

Post by bubbajohnson »

Dual fans will help, but so would a better radiator. Lots of guys stay small on the radiator to save weight and engine bay space, I went the other route. I have a large Griffin radiator in my car, with a single 10" puller fan, behind both the big radiator and AC condenser, it works fine, no matter how hard I drive.
gotae86

Post by gotae86 »

Yeah, I've seen the big Griffin setup that BRD Racing has for sale. Seems like a great setup.
bubbajohnson

Post by bubbajohnson »

I bought mine from summit racing, it's a little larger still then BRD's. Had to make custom mounts and use the slimmest fan I could find, it clears my main pully by maybe 3/8", a shroud wouldn't fit if I wanted it too :lol:. The cooling system holds over 4 gallons now.
gotae86

Post by gotae86 »

bubbajohnson wrote:I bought mine from summit racing, it's a little larger still then BRD's. Had to make custom mounts and use the slimmest fan I could find, it clears my main pully by maybe 3/8", a shroud wouldn't fit if I wanted it too :lol:. The cooling system holds over 4 gallons now.
4 gallons?! That's insane!

I installed another fan in the mean time. $40 later and the coolant temperatures are good.
bubbajohnson

Post by bubbajohnson »

gotae86 wrote:
bubbajohnson wrote:I bought mine from summit racing, it's a little larger still then BRD's. Had to make custom mounts and use the slimmest fan I could find, it clears my main pully by maybe 3/8", a shroud wouldn't fit if I wanted it too :lol:. The cooling system holds over 4 gallons now.
4 gallons?! That's insane!

I installed another fan in the mean time. $40 later and the coolant temperatures are good.
Glad you fixed it! I need to fix my radiator now, in the last week its gotten a small leak from where the fins join the tank :-(. Hopefully I can have it repaired, that damn thing is only 3 years old and I paid a good $300 for it. It probably costs more now too.