Intake manifold hose, where does it go and what does it do?

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

ToadFish

Intake manifold hose, where does it go and what does it do?

Post by ToadFish »

Hi all
Was wondering there the hose that connects into the bottom of the intake manifold
go to and what does it do?
Bottom of manifold
Bottom of manifold
images-2.jpeg (9.76 KiB) Viewed 7126 times
Attached is a picture of the bottom of the intake manifold, I'm referring to the pipe that
comes off the bottom that looks to be made of tin, mine is blocked off and wasn't
Sure if it was for anything or is ok blocked off

Cheers
Todd
mikealike

Re: Intake manifold hose, where does it go and what does it

Post by mikealike »

ToadFish wrote:Hi all
Was wondering there the hose that connects into the bottom of the intake manifold
go to and what does it do?
images-2.jpeg
Attached is a picture of the bottom of the intake manifold, I'm referring to the pipe that
comes off the bottom that looks to be made of tin, mine is blocked off and wasn't
Sure if it was for anything or is ok blocked off

Cheers
Todd
the hose goes from the lower portion of the coolant line that's under the thermostat housing to the the nipple on the intake to provide heat for the carb to atomize fuel better/ Some people say its not needed but why does Toyota place them there, cause of emissions
Tuner, Builder and Racer. Hit me up for all you needs 2/3tc, 3SGTE or 2RZ custom fabbed parts.
Paypal luzunaris99@gmail.com
ToadFish

Post by ToadFish »

Cheers mate, appreciate it, will hook that up
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

Hi Todd

This pipe supplies coolant to the base of the intake and out into the head. It could possibly have the reverse effect to why Toyota put the coolant through the manifold in the first place when connected here in our Aussie climate.

Japan and a lot of Europe and North America experience a lot colder weather than we do here. The extra heat would help stop the carb from freezing closed in winter. Also the air filter box used a pipe from around the exhaust with a 'winter' setting to feed warm air into the intake also helping stop the carb from freezing.

I would suggest in Australia we do not need this coolant pipe/path and you could make up a flat blanking plate of alloy to replace the tin one and block off the port on the thermo housing.

You may still experience the carb freezing over if in winter it gets cool enough in SA and you have an after market filter kit on the top. I have experienced such freezing here in ACT with a 2T-B carb set up.

If you ever wished to gain that few micro horsepower then a trick would be to block off the port access into the head, add another pipe and circulate freezing cold water to cool the manifold to make the air/fuel denser. ;)
Regards
Rodger
Lover of the Solex/Mikuni sound
http://www.rmcarburetors.net
ToadFish

Post by ToadFish »

Hi Roger
Yeah might do this as have found my plate is also corroded, soight just get a delete plate made.
Cheers for the advice but will see how it goes

Cheers
Todd