Engine sat for at least 6-8 years

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

kevneverlast

Engine sat for at least 6-8 years

Post by kevneverlast »

So here it is I bought a 1980 1.8 . I did the car over put a vinyl top on and had two 15 Evs and four 10 Evs. I was the second owner and it had only 63,000 miles on it. I sold it then my brother found the car sitting no hood flats and a broken window.After a few times trying to buy it back the kid finally said yes. I got it no keys rusty it reminded me of the movie Christine. Now I want to get it running. I am not mechanically inclined at all. I have a couple friends that are. That being said any help here would be great. I went to see if it would turn over just for kicks and it made a clicking sound. I assume that's that's the starter. Now the fun begins I was told take the spark plugs out and pour a cap or two of marvels magic in where the spark plugs are. I also assume do the fuel filter and change the oil. Any help on what to really do to get it going. Its a stock engine, and where is the best place for engine parts auto zone says for most they take a couple days to come in. I think I need the starter and the solenoid. Email is kevneverlast@I cloud.com I will post pictures in the rite room as soon as I can
chris76corolla

Re: Engine sat for at least 6-8 years

Post by chris76corolla »

your gonna have to clean your gas tank rebuild your carburetor and you might have to clean out your gas lines other then that if the car is in good shape with those repairs it should work and check all your fuses
corolla lifestyle
baldo

Post by baldo »

I am not mechanically inclined at all. Man we love to hear that! :evil: :lol: It sat for 6-8 years and when you try to started it made a clicking sound........ That could mean soooooo many things. Is the battery good, how are the cables, the connections, rust, clicking = engine locked? I know you want to get it running but just dont start throwing money at it. Anything could of happened to it just sitting there. Make sure your mechanically inclined friends go through everything to see what works and what you need to replace.
It sounds like the car had a rough time and you rescued it from the pound. Cant wait to see the pictures! What are your plans for it?
kevneverlast

Post by kevneverlast »

kevneverlast wrote:So here it is I bought a 1980 1.8 . I did the car over put a vinyl top on and had two 15 Evs and four 10 Evs. I was the second owner and it had only 63,000 miles on it. I sold it then my brother found the car sitting no hood flats and a broken window.After a few times trying to buy it back the kid finally said yes. I got it no keys rusty it reminded me of the movie Christine. Now I want to get it running. I am not mechanically inclined at all. I have a couple friends that are. That being said any help here would be great. I went to see if it would turn over just for kicks and it made a clicking sound. I assume that's that's the starter. Now the fun begins I was told take the spark plugs out and pour a cap or two of marvels magic in where the spark plugs are. I also assume do the fuel filter and change the oil. Any help on what to really do to get it going. Its a stock engine, and where is the best place for engine parts auto zone says for most they take a couple days to come in. I think I need the starter and the solenoid. Email is kevneverlast@I cloud.com I will post pictures in the rite room as soon as I can
. Plan is getting it 100% and my son has it. So update is I checked the starter and alternator. They were both bad I got them both rebuilt for 60 dollars each. We put them in and the wanted to turn over but didn't. Its looking promising to be honest. I did do the fuel filter near the fire wall. I can seem to find anything on repairing things. Good thinking on the fuel I thought of that later also maybe carb needs adjusting. I tried to add pics but said they were to big. I will fix that and add them.