3t-c California Emissions - High NOx

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

sagra

3t-c California Emissions - High NOx

Post by sagra »

I have a 1982 TE72 wagon with a stock 3t-c and carburetor.

Things that I have done:
  • New catalytic converter
  • New O2 sensor
  • New PCV valve
  • Verified EGR valve is functional, modulator is functional, and passages are clear
  • New spark plugs, measured and verified gap
  • New spark wires
  • New distributor
  • Checked compression - 150psi on all cylinders
ECU seems to be going closed loop on the smog pump. Fuel mixture feedback system seems to be incapable of doing anything. With the smog pump disabled, the O2 sensor reads rich in all cases.

Smog failure is now down to one number - high NOx at 15mph, but I have no idea whats left to check or do. Everything seems to be operating as it was designed.

Any other Californians have to deal with these kind of issues? Anyone got any ideas?

Also, from what I can tell, there are no CA BAR legal after market carburetors.
drwbns

Re: 3t-c California Emissions - High NOx

Post by drwbns »

I had emission troubles galore with my 1980 corolla. It was my parents since it was bought and was sitting for a number of years collecting the weather. I had to get a new catalytic, repair a fuel tank air pinhole leak that I caused when installing a new fuel gauge meter, get a new gas cap ( haha! ), and repaired a number of hoses in the process. After the original engine blew, I swapped for an 82 3tc engine off ebay ( which the block itself looks the exact same as the stock 80, just different vacuum tubing setup ). After realizing I just needed to take the original vacuum tubing from the 80, most of the running problems were solved, but this was handled by a ASE( I think thats right ) master tech at a CA smog licensed repair shop. He basically tuned it like a pro to pass so I recommend finding a reputable ASE mechanic and a CA-Smog certified shop. Also, try to find someone that will not charge for a diagnostic. Good luck!