Stock engine, need help with timing and other RPM Q's

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

Kenny727

Stock engine, need help with timing and other RPM Q's

Post by Kenny727 »

So my 82 Rolla was scary slow, as a last resort I messed with timing (Pretty sure advanced) and its a night and day difference in all aspects of speed, I was wondering on a stock engine Whats the best Timing advancement to have.. stock gas vs premium vs premium w1 liter of 98% iso?/b]:
I have no rev limiter, so when would be the optimal time to shift based on stock powerband for fastest speed?Awnsered: Under 6k)
I accidentally downshifted from 5th to 2nd on the highway and hit 72-7400 for a half a second before I popped the clutch again. So for me to be safe I was wondering what people have revved this engine to without internal damage? Whats the first item to fail?
I'm going to replace the cap and rotor soon.. any specific brand that out preforms others?
As I work thru adjusting timing and everything I'm sure Ill have more questions, Thanks everyone!
Last edited by Kenny727 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:12 am, edited 13 times in total.
BOBLOOK

Re: Stock engine, need help with optimal shift and other RPM

Post by BOBLOOK »

You can know the shift point only after you dyno the car that way you will know its peak power graphic so you can determine the proper shifting point!
The day we learn to think
Kenny727

Post by Kenny727 »

okay what abut the peak RPM before parts start to break?
skabrock5

Post by skabrock5 »

keep it under 6000
Kenny727

Re: Stock engine, need help with timing and other RPM Q's

Post by Kenny727 »

Okay and stock timing is supposed to be 10 right?
What would be max on a stock engine with 93 octane?
Same as last but for daily rkvk g
cousin eddy

Post by cousin eddy »

I have mine set at 12-15 initial and get good results on only 87 octane. I think you'll get diminished and even negative results trying to get it to gt it to almost pinging on 93. Figure out how much timing the distributor is adding and keep it between 30-40 total timing and figure out whats best. Best way to find out how much its adding is to have a dialback timing gun that you can make the light retard back to the point so you can use the timing pointer and it'll tell you exactly how much you have total. Sometimes you can rent them but you may have to buy one
Kenny727

Post by Kenny727 »

Okay I haven't ran a gun, only timed by ear, seems very advanced tho... almost to the max
Way faster, I hear about top end falling off and I don't think I feel that.

Can I max it out... Revv it up to see if it pings... If not I'm safe to run like that?
I'm using a full tank of 93 W just over a quart of 98% Iso
cousin eddy

Post by cousin eddy »

Considering the compression on an 82 you shouldnt run into any pinging issue on 93 but i'd be careful, audible detonation is deadly. You can pick up a normal gun for like $20, Dial backs are just nicer.
Kenny727

Post by Kenny727 »

Okay Since I'm almost maxed out on the timing I'm just seeing if I will know before a problem actually makes an issue, anyone have a good number to run for highest performance on a stock(I think) engine.

Also the owner said the engine was rebuilt right before he got it.. Since It was so slow I didn't believe him at first because he has NO info on it.. Now it seems its pushing a whole lot more then 80hp..I burn up a 1 wheel wonder thru first and chirping into 2nd.. What do you think?

Edit: About the gun.. I bought one.. Have to wait until a good night to do it since the light is so damn weak... but you get what you pay for.. Hopefully have numbers for yall soon.