Tranny swap

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

Madslammer

Tranny swap

Post by Madslammer »

Can I swap an A42-DL transmission out of a 87 AE86 into a 77 TE38 that has an A40 in it?
If so... How do I do it?
Thanks...
BOBLOOK

Re: Tranny swap

Post by BOBLOOK »

Hi there for doing this you might consider the bellhousing of this engine aren't similar to other

A42-DL 4A series engine and the Te38 3tc engine

Unless the bellhousing is swappable it might be work but i can't confirm that.
The day we learn to think
Madslammer

Post by Madslammer »

BOBLOOK wrote:Hi there for doing this you might consider the bellhousing of this engine aren't similar to other

A42-DL 4A series engine and the Te38 3tc engine

Unless the bellhousing is swappable it might be work but i can't confirm that.

Thanks...
The transmission body looks the same from where the bellhousing bolts on, all the way to the output shaft.
theres a considerable difference in the bellhousings length, the friend who sold it to me told me I can swap the bellhousings but i might double check now...
Thanks again...
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Yeah and also the flex-plate the converter bolt to
The day we learn to think
Madslammer

Post by Madslammer »

Haven't had the time to remove the bellhousings, but here's pics of both trannys...
First, the A42DL:

And, The A40:

The A42dl is longer overall and the bellhousings are a bit different... Not sure about this...
Any ideas???
bubbajohnson

Post by bubbajohnson »

Hi, I tried to swap an A42 into my old Celica years ago. As I recall I could not put the A40 bell housing on because that extra length in the spA42 bell goes over a case extension of some sorts. You would have to get the proper bell housing for your engine to make it work. I don't know if the A 42 ever came behind a T series engine.
Madslammer

Post by Madslammer »

bubbajohnson wrote:Hi, I tried to swap an A42 into my old Celica years ago. As I recall I could not put the A40 bell housing on because that extra length in the spA42 bell goes over a case extension of some sorts. You would have to get the proper bell housing for your engine to make it work. I don't know if the A 42 ever came behind a T series engine.
thanks bro... that's what i thought...
I know a guy here in PR that does a lot of crazy race stuff... I might give him a call...
Thanks again for the feedback...
Madslammer

Post by Madslammer »

Hi guys.... still looking for info on this swap...
Need help Identifying this transmission...

I did some research on the Toyo DIY site and it states that the A40d,(Code is 4fc for that car) came on the 81-82 corolla hardtop, coupe and liftback...with the 3tc engine. This one the seller is giving me hell, he says the trans. has no id on it, he says it came from his 81 SW but he doesn't send me a pic of the ID plate on the engine bay... I think this is the one I'm looking for, but we live like 150 miles away... That's like a 3 hour drive here... So any help will be appreciated... Thanks...
Madslammer

Post by Madslammer »

Hi, just to update some info on this...
I found an A40-D trans. it needs rebuilding...but a friend of mine is trying a different approach, He's building a custom adapter using the stock A40 bellhousing with the extension part of the A42-DL welded on to it... so far everything is lining up...
wating for some time to try it...
fclaridge

Post by fclaridge »

Hey. Just saw your swap and wondered whatever happened with it. I’m doing something similar. Want to mate up an A40D to a 2TC instead of the A40. I also have the A42DL you were talking about too. Would love to know what was done.