causes of fouled plug

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

781masshole3tc

causes of fouled plug

Post by 781masshole3tc »

ive recently tuned up my 1980 3tc with cap, rotor, wires, plugs (ngk gapped at .044) pcv, pcv grommet, fuel filter, air filter. The #1 plug is carbon fouled but the rest are normal looking, as mentioned in another post that i have square style ignition coil and another member says they are notorious for weak/failure. would a weak coil cause #1 plug to foul? (the plug is not wet, its a dry carbon foul) or would the distributer pickup assembly inside cause this. Its so weird i can have the car running like a champ for a day or two then run like total crap ola the rest, would the Aisan douchebag carb be also the culprit, im so in love with this old school car that it makes me wanna puke lol. (food for thought this car never ever smokes out the exhaust "no black no blue no white". :?
BOBLOOK

Re: causes of fouled plug

Post by BOBLOOK »

To tell you weigher is mechanical or electrical issue causing the fouled

You need to swap the #1 sparkplug and wire to the #2 cyl.

Then run it for a while then recheck it

If problem swap to cyl #2 then the problem is electrical

If #1 remain the same you need to look at a mechanical failure

What did you change already ? Dizz cap crack ed??
The day we learn to think
781masshole3tc

Post by 781masshole3tc »

the #1 fouled plug was changed with the recent tune up a few days ago, up till know its sputtering while running so i assumed it was fouled out again, i was wrong, i pulled all the plugs and they are in great shape, i swapped back to the old wires and cap and it still sputtered, i punched (hit, wacked) the square ignition coil 3 times and the car stalled out on me, hmmmmmm this sounds like the coil is crapping out on me, Ebay has a replacement one for $11.05 new/shipped. im going to get it just so i can run the car in the yard and eventually save up for something nicer MSD/ACCEL etc. when i do up grade out of this square model do i eliminate the igniter/module that the coil mounts to or does it get integrated in with the new setup?
73te27

Post by 73te27 »

I dont think its the coil. Usually total failure, no spark. If it was weak, would be equal on all cylinders.
Whats the mileage? Might need a valve job.
Vacuum leak, could be a lot of things, just speculating.
Compression test can tell you about the motor.

Can you post a link to what you are going to buy for $11. Sounds too cheap to be worthwhile. I know its not much but no sense throwing away money.

Your coil is integrated with the ignitor. You need another from 81/82 or an MSD or there are posts for cheap HEI type ignitions. Do a search.
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

I won't bother simple get an msd box and coil for cheap and your done !
The day we learn to think
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

Do a simple compression test buddy!
SF5 FOZZY
781masshole3tc

Post by 781masshole3tc »

lets start off with Thankyou everybody who responded, this is the update, no more fouled #1 plug (it was a broken wire) all plugs are clean and distributor cap and ignition rotor are new also new ignition wires, the car runs ruff (sputters) as if there was a bad wire or plug, but there is not, so i PUNCHED the igniton coil pack 3 times and the car got mad at me and stalled, so the coil is probably getting weak and getting ready to die, so i just bought my $11.07 with free shipping a square igniton coil on Ebay lol, remember this car is my driveway queen for a little bit, and eventually i will replace some of the parts with better ones once i have the funds to do it. but as of now im learning about this old school car.
781masshole3tc

Post by 781masshole3tc »

Toyota1515 wrote:Do a simple compression test buddy!
dont own a compression tester and dont have the funds to rent one yet. but will be considered to be done in very close future though.
781masshole3tc

Post by 781masshole3tc »

73te27 wrote:I dont think its the coil. Usually total failure, no spark. If it was weak, would be equal on all cylinders.
Whats the mileage? Might need a valve job.
Vacuum leak, could be a lot of things, just speculating.
Compression test can tell you about the motor.

Can you post a link to what you are going to buy for $11. Sounds too cheap to be worthwhile. I know its not much but no sense throwing away money.

Your coil is integrated with the ignitor. You need another from 81/82 or an MSD or there are posts for cheap HEI type ignitions. Do a search.

all plugs are clean and gapped at .044, i believe a week coil, car has 98k miles original, car does not smoke so i dont believe it needs a valve job but i would not overrule that thought, the sputtering just happened after replacing the cap, rotor, plugs, wires. so i put the original ones back in and it did not help, im really leaning towards the thought of the coil going caputs especially when i beat it up and the car stalled in fear lol