Another rear end option.

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

connor72

Another rear end option.

Post by connor72 »

Well,
on the old site and on sites such as club4ag there has been much talk about different rear end swaps.
ford 8.8
toyota 8
chevy 10 bolt
1980(s) early celica supra rear end.
maybe a few more.
Has anyone thought about the first gen mazda rx7 gslse rear end?
I've been reading up on it... lsd. supposedly good for 300-350ish horsepower. not too heavy.
Is this a valid swap? the lack of information makes me think they are too short or something.

Just a thought. Connor

http://spriso.com/content/products/mazd ... -end-swap/
sqznby

Re: Another rear end option.

Post by sqznby »

The reason for the Ford 8.8, Chevy 10 bolt and Toy 8" is for the aftermarket support and parts are plentiful.

I have never thought of a 1st gen rx7 nor have I ever read about others being interested :D
The lack of info should be a hint ;)
connor72

Post by connor72 »

Yes. Not much information. But it just sounds like it would be easier. All came stock with disk brakes. The article mentions that you can use the miata Torsen LSD. Or rebuild the original clutch type LSD. So I was just wondering if anyone had any information on this. I don't want a big heavy Chevy rear end.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Those rearend will hold we have run them on slicks rx7 ET15,54 1/4mile 12a streetpoort ! But the track was not prepared with bite bad traction !
sqznby

Post by sqznby »

The same process has to be done to the RX7 rear as it does to any other rear being swapped in.

Some 8.8 came with discs and LSs and if not they are very inexpensive to buy. You can go cheap ( I hate that word, hah) and go with a spool for around $100.
The same goes for the Toy 8".
Mazota TE51

Post by Mazota TE51 »

My buddy was running an 85 gslse rearend on his 82 corolla 12a powered with old turbo 2 tranny and it screamed. I remember the reason for him using it was because it would fit without shortening. I will ask him to see what was involved to install it. I believe they are 4:30 from the factory.
mallito1.8

Post by mallito1.8 »

Actually I have that rear end in my starlet right now and she pops the tires of the ground. Mines is a wierd mix what I've been told. Rx2 housing rx7 chuck welded posi 4:10 gears with ford 28 spline axles fits perfect in my starlet with no cutting or shorting. But gonna be swapping for a ford 8.8. Cause going turbo and it'll be more power now. Hope this helps.
connor72

Post by connor72 »

I knew there had to be someone with experience! The only problem is.. I have a 72 te27. Arent they not as wide as later rollas and starlets?
loquendo

Post by loquendo »

Somebody on another forum had a white TE31 with an first gen RX7 Rear End.
toyotero2dend

Post by toyotero2dend »

If you really want to go with the rx7 rear make sure is the gsl-se cause the axles are a bit thicker and the gear ratio is 411 if I'm not mistaken,,,and if you want to change the ratio racing beat is expensive but the miata,,I think the old MVP,,,early b2000 ,,, and Kia ring & pinion are compatible ;)
Tate Quieto