79 Corolla Wagon Stock Fuel System?

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

brianfxt

79 Corolla Wagon Stock Fuel System?

Post by brianfxt »

I am a bit confused about the fuel system on my 79 Corolla wagon. When I took it all apart, my fuel pump had 3 lines on it. One was a feed from the tank, one was going to the carb, and the third went to a mysterious line at the firewall. I immediately assumed this was a return line but my service manual from 79 is saying the system should be returnless. The pictures also show a completely different fuel pump design to what I actually have on my car.

My current pump looks like this:

I am trying to swap to an electric inline pump and external fuel pressure regulator for my Weber carb and I was going to plumb the return for the regulator into this factory third, smaller diameter line that was connected to the fuel pump. However, I am having my doubts as to whether or not this is actually a return or if it could possibly be something else. Also, there is a another small diameter hard line at the firewall connected to what I assumed to be the charcoal canister (mounted low down by the strut tower) - but even this I am not sure about as my manual says liftbacks have the canister closer to the front bumper and mentions nothing about wagons.

Can anyone tell me if I am safe returning the regulator bypass through this small diameter hardline going to the back of the car? Thank you all for your time and help!
AE25

Re: 79 Corolla Wagon Stock Fuel System?

Post by AE25 »

Sounds as you say. the little line from pump is a return line back to the tank. If you intend to use it, just follow it down the gearbox tunnel back to the tank to confirm it does in fact return.
The line with the charcoal canister will be the tank vent. comes from the tank, through the charcoal can then will have a hose poking into the chassis rail. Im not sure whether you're talking about a ke3/te5/ke7 wagon. some may have a line from the charcoal can to the carb to burn off the fumes when running.