shaving a 3tc head for more compression = hp

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

hemilove

shaving a 3tc head for more compression = hp

Post by hemilove »

I would like to raise my compression on my hilux with a 3tc but how much is a good amount to shave off the head to get like 10:1 or 9.5:1 compression if yall have done this let me know bc these r1 carbs are pulling the air in but the engine cant keep up I want HP by just shaving the head and maybe a lil cam also
Toyota1515

Re: shaving a 3tc head for more compression = hp

Post by Toyota1515 »

More Compression needs more octane, and yes a cam helps a lot with a set of proper valve springs for it, Shaving the head could be done all the way down till you touch the max shave button on the head, and u can go like .50 over that, but remember to measure valve to piston clearance and as long as you got .100 of clearance you are A-OK. again remember compression and low octane fuels dont mix!
SF5 FOZZY
hemilove

Post by hemilove »

Toyota1515 wrote:More Compression needs more octane, and yes a cam helps a lot with a set of proper valve springs for it, Shaving the head could be done all the way down till you touch the max shave button on the head, and u can go like .50 over that, but remember to measure valve to piston clearance and as long as you got .100 of clearance you are A-OK. again remember compression and low octane fuels dont mix!
yes sir but were am I on the safe side but higher on compression like at 10:1 or so bro like .30 or more
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

hemilove wrote: yes sir but were am I on the safe side but higher on compression like at 10:1 or so bro like .30 or more
choose a cam first and then let me know, a good safe cam will b a 284 AD by 476 lift or 494 lift, check Schneider cams as they have being very good to me and always accurate,
check the grind number 284F-HL

and then shave the head .50, then check the valve to piston for clearance and make sure is over .100 and add the single valve springs from ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMPI-4040-HIGH- ... db&vxp=mtr
and add the motorcycle carbs and you will be very happy man!
SF5 FOZZY
hemilove

Post by hemilove »

Toyota1515 wrote:
hemilove wrote: yes sir but were am I on the safe side but higher on compression like at 10:1 or so bro like .30 or more
choose a cam first and then let me know, a good safe cam will b a 284 AD by 476 lift or 494 lift, check Schneider cams as they have being very good to me and always accurate,
check the grind number 284F-HL

and then shave the head .50, then check the valve to piston for clearance and make sure is over .100 and add the single valve springs from ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMPI-4040-HIGH- ... db&vxp=mtr
and add the motorcycle carbs and you will be very happy man!
Thank you sir for the suggestion and I will take that under concideration.
toyotero2dend

Post by toyotero2dend »

Carlos my friend had a rolla,the head was shaved , had header no cam just a carb out of an rx7 witch is 4 barrel you should see how that 3tc pulled and would start rite away even in winter,,, so I say head job and good Carb. & header is great for a cruiser ;)
Tate Quieto
hemilove

Post by hemilove »

toyotero2dend wrote:Carlos my friend had a rolla,the head was shaved , had header no cam just a carb out of an rx7 witch is 4 barrel you should see how that 3tc pulled and would start rite away even in winter,,, so I say head job and good Carb. & header is great for a cruiser ;)
Bro my 3tc makes power and enogh to blow my transmission up so after that I said my truck is a cruiser not a hot rod no more t50"s are weak lol
hemilove

Post by hemilove »

how much is 50 thousands of an inch
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

hemilove wrote:how much is 50 thousands of an inch
It is 50 out of a inch if you devide that inch in 1000 equal parts. so you got 950 of those left :lol: :lol: :lol:
SF5 FOZZY
hemilove

Post by hemilove »

is that a lot of performance shaving power that I will notice toyota1515