Overheating Problems - Need Help

Here's where you post EFI and TURBO conversion, configurations, and questions related.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

devashen

Overheating Problems - Need Help

Post by devashen »

Hi Guys,

We are from South Africa and we built a 3tc turbo, we are currently facing heating problems, we have converted the original radiator to a 3row (3core) put in an electric fan and OEM thermostat but the car still heats up to 3/4 on the gauge.

Please advise on what this could mean, we are leaning toward the Cometic head gasket is not sealing 100% and therefore loosing compression and heating up, if this is not the case can anybody advise me on what could the problem be.

Thanks in advance
mallito1.8

Re: Overheating Problems - Need Help

Post by mallito1.8 »

Get rid of the thermostat
devashen

Post by devashen »

We had no thermostat in the beginning then we thought the water was not cooling enough so we added a thermostat, still no avail
mallito1.8

Post by mallito1.8 »

Well while water boils I took my antifreeze out because I'm planning on using the car for track and they don't want antifreeze spilled on the track so water it is but turning it on I haven't seen overheating issue yet. And I don't use a thermostat
pr82rola

Post by pr82rola »

i'm having the same problem you are having. 3/4 way to overheating. new thermostat new 12" electric fan, new radiator. did a fresh tuneup last wk and it still gets real hot. i'm suspecting the heator core or valve lash needs adjustment
toyotero2dend

Post by toyotero2dend »

check your timing guys,& check if the fan is pulling or pushing and the location of the fan ;)
Tate Quieto
73GTV

Post by 73GTV »

Flush your block, check your timing and retest. Due to the age of these engines and the hours of operation, the passages could be blocked internally. Flush the engine block first to remove any restrictions, rust or crud, Install that new thermostat, fill with the correct fluids per operational manual requirements and retest. That would be the advice I would give while leaning on my elbow at the parts counter and pointing to the required products needed. I'll ring you up at the counter, next customer...
devashen

Post by devashen »

Thanks 73 GTV, we opened up the block and all the waterways were blocked with rust mixed with mud or something like that. We have flush the block using de-greasers and even pool acid.

Most of the crud has been removed but the 4 journals on the intake side we cannot see as there are no welsh plugs on that side, we are going to assemble the motor again and hope for the best.
devashen

Post by devashen »

Hi As per my previous posts, we tried everything you guys advised and we still running at 3/4 heat gauge.

Our intercooler is sitting dead centre of the radiator, do you guys think that the intercooler is preventing cold air into the radiator which is causing the heating problem, thanks in advance
mikealike

Post by mikealike »

devashen wrote:Hi As per my previous posts, we tried everything you guys advised and we still running at 3/4 heat gauge.

Our intercooler is sitting dead centre of the radiator, do you guys think that the intercooler is preventing cold air into the radiator which is causing the heating problem, thanks in advance
Do you have a gauge on it cause the dash is just a tad bit off. The inter-cooler will impede flow so yes it will run hotter. I would make sure that the fan you have pulls 3500 cfm of air thru both units
Tuner, Builder and Racer. Hit me up for all you needs 2/3tc, 3SGTE or 2RZ custom fabbed parts.
Paypal luzunaris99@gmail.com