te31 how to lower the cheaper and correctly way

General information for parts interchange and modification.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

Machukate31

te31 how to lower the cheaper and correctly way

Post by Machukate31 »

Hello guys I am trying to upgrade my suspension on my 1975 Corolla. So u was going to purchase new struts and rear shocks but I also want 2 lower it I a in spensive way I want to go 2" low in the rear and 2 1/2 Front . Any suggestions.
BOBLOOK

Re: te31 how to lower the cheaper and correctly way

Post by BOBLOOK »

Cheapest front cut 1.5 ciol

Rear lowering blocks
The day we learn to think
Machukate31

Post by Machukate31 »

Ok thanks for the info . If I cut the springs would be to bouncy? Do they sell the lowering blocks? Were can I find them?
skellington

Post by skellington »

I would get SW20 mr2 rear struts to run up front. They will have a shorter stroke and have a heavier dampening rate. You can run them in a stock strut tube if you use your original strut tube caps and put a spacer in the bottom of the tube. I have my 76 corolla set up with these now. If you are going this far, you might as well put an adjustable coilover perch and new spring on the front. The rears can be droped on the cheap with blocks as Boblook said. I would get the 1992 comaro rear shocks though. they are shorter than the stock ones and will work better for a lowered car.
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Tercel US spec is cheaper then those SW20 !

If you handy you can build your own blocks

DIY Leaf Spring Lowering Blocks!
Machukate31

Post by Machukate31 »

Thanks for the info . Been looking around for adjustable full coils and wow to expensive. And my other option was doing adjustable springs but they run like 400 bucks for a pair of Front springs . I ma look into the Tercel / Camaro conversion sounds interesting. I keep you guys updated . Thanks
skellington

Post by skellington »

My front springs and perches were $55 and it came with a spare set of perches and coilsprings... yea, thats right, 2 cars worth.
Go on ebay and find the "red and gold" ebay specials. I did my research before buying these with the intention of replacing them if they were crap. These perches and springs are great. They are about 320# on an 8" spring. Its a little stiff but they perform VERY well with the SW20 strut (AKA flat car while cornering hard). The kit also comes with poly top hats which I also used under the stock toyota part that bolts into the fender. I welded a 1/2" tall piece of pipe that slips over my strut tube for these to sit on. (find lengths at a recycling yard for pocket change). I currently ordered a set of 300# springs that were 10" tall from summit for $60 to refine my rates a little more. I purchase all my struts on Rockauto.com. They are CHEAP in price, and I opted for the KYB GR2's for the front and back and I will buy them again. I bought blocks for about $35 at a local autoparts store. With all this being said, you can lower your car for:

$57.98 red/gold coilover kit. (there are cheaper, but I did research in these and they are known to be good) from ebay

$38.78 (rear pair) KYB 343211 GR-2 / Excel-G 1992 comaro 5.7 from rock auto
$63.78 (front strut pair) KYB Part # 363037 GR-2 / Excel-G 1984 4wd Tercel front struts from rock auto (I havent confirmed these, but they are about $10 cheaper than the SW20's from 1995.
Total from rock auto is $112.14 shipped if you use "mmar614" for discount code.

$34.99 for 2" lowering blocks from autozone

TOTAL OF: $195.53 to lower your car correctly. You can probably do cheaper if you shop around. that is less than $200 and it includes all new shocks / struts / springs. My car corners WAY better than hondas with $1200 coilovers and thats with stock soft rear leafsprings. I currently run mine with no blocks, and no cut strut in the front. Look at my sig to see car. Lower car will give lower center of gravity than mine. These are bolt on parts that anybody could install with some basic tools and the willingness to learn and get a little dirty. The forum here will help anyone if they get stuck on any part of the installation. Heh, Throw in a junkyard celica rear swaybar, some extra leaf springs and a welded diff and you got a budget drifter. :lol: Tempting :lol:
Machukate31

Post by Machukate31 »

Thanks for the info .
skellington

Post by skellington »

No prob. I had time and was willing to do someone's homework.
BOBLOOK wrote:Tercel US spec is cheaper then those SW20 !

If you handy you can build your own blocks

DIY Leaf Spring Lowering Blocks!
Hey boblook, Which year of tercel struts work? I guessed an 83 tercel wagon 4wd. How do these compare to the SW20's in size and dampening?
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

skellington wrote:

Hey boblook, Which year of tercel struts work? I guessed an 83 tercel wagon 4wd. How do these compare to the SW20's in size and dampening?
DIY short stroke convertion

http://3tcgarage.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=78