Gremlin?

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

baldo

Gremlin?

Post by baldo »

So I just replaced the alt because the needle will show 14 volts some days, 13 and 12. Lately it starts at 12 and it flickers up and down. This has gone on for a bit now. The battery is good and by putting in a new alt nothing happened. :? :shock: I have started the car and told people to move wires, hit the cluster gauge (maybe a loose wire), replaced the alt wire to the battery........ NOTHING!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: Now this happens with no load! I have changed the battery cables and connectors. Anything I am missing or has this happened to anybody?
pufito18

Re: Gremlin?

Post by pufito18 »

check actual alternator plug inside the plug were the orange rubery round piece open it up and there should be some wrong in there
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Internal or external voltage regulator ?

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical ... orks.shtml
The day we learn to think
baldo

Post by baldo »

The alternator is new and its internal. I dont have an orange anything.
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Did you read the link

14 volt will provide by the alt only when it needed ones the battery is low and the accessory demand is high it will regulated to 14v

Ones system is charged it will rest a bit between 12v to 13v
baldo

Post by baldo »

"Voltage will be above 14 when the alternator is working, and about twelve and falling when supported by the battery." Sooo......... its the brand new alternator..........AGAIN!? Boy really looking forward to upgrading to a saturn! ( you need a shaking my head smiles) :lol: But this will do. :roll:
Let me ask this because its something I want to do before doing anything drastic. I want to rewire the power system. Already did the battery to the starter. Now, the alts plug has 2 wires that go to another plug to....... the fuse box by the battery? Then, the power wire that goes to the battery. Does it really go to the battery or to the fuse box and then to the battery? Next week I will take all that awesome tape of and see what I got going. :| I just want bigger wires and get rid of that plug.
By the way, what is that thing on the back of the alt that looks like a mini battery with a wire and what does it do?
baldo

Post by baldo »

I did read it kind of. I hate the comparison of an alt and a compressor. Did more harm than good. Great write up without that! It was a pain!
Anyways, when I put the new one on the volts went from 12 to 11, to 12 with nothing on. As I put on lights, blinkers a/c the volts would go down and struggle to get to 12. Even if I hit the gas and hold at 2500 rpms.
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

baldo wrote:
By the way, what is that thing on the back of the alt that looks like a mini battery with a wire and what does it do?
radio .... Alternator interference filter avoid the alt whining in the radio