Questions about putting in a new alternator

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

Kenny727

Re: Questions about putting in a new alternator

Post by Kenny727 »

Grinded it and it all worked as far as mounting goes.. Just for some reason Im getting about 14V.. Idk if its wiring or what..
I really need to find a wire diagram.. Specificly a list of the fuse box pin #s would be ideal..
I wrote down wire colors instead of use, so when I started getting to the end of replacing all the wire with mostly black, Im pretty sure I have the connectors on the right pins.. just need somewhere to start.

I have an optima red top, I drove to work a few days with the voltage a little high..
The alternator bracket wiggled loose and once the voltage dropped it never came back..
I'm going to tighten the bracket..
Charge battery,
Make sure no wires are hanging out.. Most wires don't go anywhere.. Need a diagram to eliminate some dead ends.
Kenny727

Post by Kenny727 »

So let me get this straight.
I was told 82 runs an External Regulator
83+ Went Internal.
When I bought my 82 it had an Internal unit already installed that I replaced.
I changed my 82 fusebox out for an 83 model and everything lined up right, except I was told the charging pins were different due to the regulator change.
Can anyone confirm any of this?
Anyone know the different pins?
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Since the inbuilt alternator is mounted you only need 3 wire for it to operate !

And 14 V is okay after you turn one the accessories it will lower to 12.5 13 volt
The day we learn to think