Toyota1515

Re: Doug thorley 3tc headers group buy

Post by Toyota1515 »

Good enough, i guess!
SF5 FOZZY
Mazota TE51

Post by Mazota TE51 »

Good looking header but not worth the money in my opinion. Good luck if it goes through for those of you who want it.
NuDriftR

Post by NuDriftR »

bump it up!
72te27

Post by 72te27 »

I disagree with much of what I see written in this thread. This is, in fact, a VERY GOOD quality
header. I have almost the exact same header on my '72 Corolla. I say "almost" because when
I bought mine around 18 years ago it only came with the Nickel Chrome plating that was
advertised as an "industrial Chrome plating" for "protective purposes only". The ceramic coating was not available back then, and the header cost close to $200. Factor in almost two decades of inflation and the ceramic coating, and I'd say the current price isn't too far off the mark. Add in the fact that they have to dig out and dust off the old tooling, their quality control has improved over the years, and the fact that the collector on this header is aerodynamically correct. Where the larger secondaries enter the collector, the collector is necked down. It then increases slightly in diameter. It is a slightly crude version of "area rule" design, and it DOES make power.

Your 2/3tc wants to breath, and this header is an improvement even over the nice, later model stock 4-2-1 manifold and downpipe. Huge improvement over the older 4-1 like my '72 had.
14 gauge AND ceramic coated? Heck, my old header STILL looks like a work of art. Almost makes ME
want to buy a new one! (No, I don't work for Thorley. Just like my header.)
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

72te27 wrote:I disagree with much of what I see written in this thread. This is, in fact, a VERY GOOD quality
header. I have almost the exact same header on my '72 Corolla. I say "almost" because when
I bought mine around 18 years ago it only came with the Nickel Chrome plating that was
advertised as an "industrial Chrome plating" for "protective purposes only". The ceramic coating was not available back then, and the header cost close to $200. Factor in almost two decades of inflation and the ceramic coating, and I'd say the current price isn't too far off the mark. Add in the fact that they have to dig out and dust off the old tooling, their quality control has improved over the years, and the fact that the collector on this header is aerodynamically correct. Where the larger secondaries enter the collector, the collector is necked down. It then increases slightly in diameter. It is a slightly crude version of "area rule" design, and it DOES make power.

Your 2/3tc wants to breath, and this header is an improvement even over the nice, later model stock 4-2-1 manifold and downpipe. Huge improvement over the older 4-1 like my '72 had.
14 gauge AND ceramic coated? Heck, my old header STILL looks like a work of art. Almost makes ME
want to buy a new one! (No, I don't work for Thorley. Just like my header.)
O yes they will give you 4 to 10 HP over the stock 4-2 to 1 piece, BUT when you Keep the mods on your engine to get as much as you can get out of it you will find out it choke your little 3tc, the 4 to 1 version more commonly available, is a little overkill for a almost stock engine but when you modify it with ported head hi lift cam good compression and a good fuel system you easy find out which one work the best, and sometimes when things get serious u need to custom siize the primary tubes to 1 5/8 and when a lot of NO2 is used 1 7/8 primaries are needed, yes the little heades in question here is ok for stock to slightly moded engines and i agree, price wise i always since they where $200, i always said they were overpriced and now the same, when you can get the cheaper more capable regular version from ebay in Stainless steel, :roll:

I am not telling this just to say something, i have test em and test em i did, since 1984, if my memory still good the best aftermarket 3tc header i do had was one made by JR Headers from Back in the day (1980's) and then after that the custom made in a larger primaries.
SF5 FOZZY
badboyboogie

Post by badboyboogie »

Hi, can you please get me a quote for shipping to Ireland?
Just to confirm, are they coated to keep them looking new after use?
Also are they a direct fit for the '81 Corolla coupe?
82te72

Post by 82te72 »

badboyboogie wrote:Hi, can you please get me a quote for shipping to Ireland?
Just to confirm, are they coated to keep them looking new after use?
Also are they a direct fit for the '81 Corolla coupe?
The ceramic coating helps keep heat in and less corrosion. However Eventually I believe the coating comes off and they wont stay looking new forever.

they fit 81 corolla T series.

I emailed them and asked for a shipping quote

on another note. Supposedly 2-3 more people are interested, which would put us at 10-11
82te72

Post by 82te72 »

bump
82te72

Post by 82te72 »

bump
82te72

Post by 82te72 »

bump