TOYOTA Corolla DOHC 1600 TE71- 1980

Post all your action and craigslist finds here.
Not in the normal classifieds

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

BOBLOOK

TOYOTA Corolla DOHC 1600 TE71- 1980

Post by BOBLOOK »

If you have 18K plus shipping i can help :mrgreen:

http://nl.autoscout24.be/Details.aspx?i ... asrc=st|sr
The day we learn to think
73te27

Re: TOYOTA Corolla DOHC 1600 TE71- 1980

Post by 73te27 »

Beautiful sport coupe but 18K?

This one looks like the photos are taken at the same house. Absolutely immaculate, too bad its a 1200. Undercarriage is amazing though.
http://nl.autoscout24.be/Details.aspx?i ... bs=Details
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Yeah 18K asking price !

The Ke25 is 20K :lol: nice handsome one

http://nl.autoscout24.be/Details.aspx?i ... ation=true
The day we learn to think
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

Both of those cars are complete... down to every last clip, and fastener. If you want to "play" in the restoration (no mods... just restore) game... be prepared to pay.

I do have some experience in the restoration game... I restored a 1970 428SCJ Mach 1 back in the early 1990s... I paid $2500, spent about $10 grand and 2500 hours, sold it 4 years later for $19,000. Today, in the condition it was in when I sold it... it is likely worth over $80,000... maybe $100,000

By the way... either of those cars would have been GREAT examples for the recent Concours D'Elegance in Sonoma (wine country California). This was the first year they included Japanese marques, and those two would have shown brightly!!!
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

look i understand to pay that much for a 427 70 Cobra jet Stang it does worth pretty penny here in the states, but a Jap import collectible-wise here in the states they dont bring that kind on $$ dont get me wrong there is people who pay that much for them but is not profitable whatsoever by real collector standards, i wish i hit the lotto cuz i would buy both, but is just crazy $$$ for them no matter how new they are,

PS i didnt meant the word "Jap" in a bad way whatsoever please dont get it wrong, i do respect and love Japanese culture and people, is just in a good way!
SF5 FOZZY
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

Toyota1515 wrote:look i understand to pay that much for a 427 70 Cobra jet Stang it does worth pretty penny here in the states, but a Jap import collectible-wise here in the states they dont bring that kind on $$ dont get me wrong there is people who pay that much for them but is not profitable whatsoever by real collector standards, i wish i hit the lotto cuz i would buy both, but is just crazy $$$ for them no matter how new they are,

PS i didnt meant the word "Jap" in a bad way whatsoever please dont get it wrong, i do respect and love Japanese culture and people, is just in a good way!
sometimes I think (JMHO....) that "we" think because they are old Jap cars... they have little or no value... I can understand this because coming from the muscle car/pony car field... in the 1990s... many people thought as you... about old muscle and pony cars......

just as a point for thought...

64-66 Mustangs - over 1 million made... not much more MASS production then that... yet properly restored a 64-66 V8 Mustang command prices from $15,000 - $50,000....... even a PROPERLY restored 6 cyl coupe is worth over $10,000, and I've seen FULL option 6 cyl coupes asking prices to be over $15,000

just saying....
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

You are right, IMO the only ones that are worth that much money are the Special package ones with the big cube engines and stick tranny's, the rest are just 10 to 15 k cars no more than that, no matter if they are Ford Chevy AMC or Mopar Pony cars, or other mid size sedans, some of the more valuable of any of those are the ones with all the options as i said before but in low production numbers, yeap they do build millions of them but not that much with the rare options, most of those where custom ordered by the owner, damn i wish we can get those options back again.
SF5 FOZZY
73te27

Post by 73te27 »

Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

Yeap the only one cuz the low production numbers and with Carroll Shelby heritage behind those cars is not a surprise they are on that level!

Here is some info from Wikipedia!

Production

Only 351 (regular production cars) of the 2000GT were built, figures comparable to elite Italian supercar production of the day. According to Toyota and Yamaha data, there were 233 MF10s, 109 MF10Ls, and nine MF12Ls. All were actually built by Yamaha; it took two years for production vehicles to emerge. In America, the 2000GT sold for about $6,800, much more than contemporary Porsches and Jaguars. It is believed that no profit was made on the cars despite their high price; they were more concept cars and a demonstration of ability than a true production vehicle. About 60 cars reached North America and the others were similarly thinly spread worldwide. Most 2000GTs were painted either red or white.
Racing

Toyota entered the 2000GT in competition at home, coming third in the 1966 Japanese Grand Prix and winning the Fuji 24-Hour Race in 1967. In addition, the car set several FIA world records for speed and endurance in a 72-hour test. Unfortunately, the record car was destroyed in a pace car accident and eventually scrapped. These records shortly prompted Porsche to prepare a 911R especially to beat this record.

Carroll Shelby would also enter a pair of 2000GTs to compete in the SCCA production car races competing in the CP category. Initially Shelby built three cars, including one spare. Although performing well, 1968 was the only season the car competed in the US. Toyota took back one of the cars and rebuilt it into a replica of their record car, which still resides in Japan. The two remaining Shelby cars still reside in the United States.
2000GT Open-Top, the “Bond Model”
2000GT used in the James Bond film, You Only Live Twice

The 2000GT made its most famous screen appearance in the 1967 James Bond movie You Only Live Twice, most of which was filmed in Japan. Even though the car was never commercially available as a convertible, two were made specially for the film. However, they did not have roofs, just an upholstered hump at the rear of the cabin to simulate a folded top, and therefore were not fully functioning convertibles. Prior to the decision to make fully roofless cars, building the car as a targa was tried, allegedly due to Sean Connery's height not allowing him to fit into the ultra-low coupé version. This retained the hatchback of the original car, but eliminated the rear side windows. However, when the Targa was completed, Connery's head stuck out of the top to such an extent that it was decided it looked too ridiculous and that roofless versions would have to be made if the car was to be featured in the film. Toyota were able to create a convertible version in a mere two weeks after being notified of this shortcoming. The car was mainly driven by his girlfriend Aki (Akiko Wakabayashi) in the film.[4]
Today

Although not quite as well known to the general public as later Japanese sports cars like the Nissan Z, the 2000GT is regarded by many collectors as possibly the first highly collectible Japanese car. As of 2010, good examples can reach very high auction prices, though parts availability is a problem. Some combination of interesting provenance (particularly the first and second owners) and cosmetic perfection seems to be the formula for the highest auction values.
SF5 FOZZY
skabrock5

Post by skabrock5 »

i recently read somewhere online that one 2000GT sold for 1.5million.