Conversion to electric fuel pump

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

im2bad4ya

Conversion to electric fuel pump

Post by im2bad4ya »

I'm going from mechanical to electric fuel pump next week. I have all the parts to make it work and have no problem with the actual installation. I'm using this as my guide.

I got a holly red fuel pump, (not sure the fuel pump regulator brand but I know I'll be fine if I set it to 4psi). What I want to know is where do I mount the fuel pump. It is an external pump but do I put it in the trunk by the fuel tank or do I put it under the hood after fuel filter? My application is just an upgrade over mechanical, not for racing or anything like that.
-1992 Mazda MX-3 RS 2005-2012 *REST IN PIECES*
-2003.5 MAZDASPEED Protege #882 2012-2015 SOLD!
-2003 MAZDASPEED Protege #1186 2014-2015 SOLD!
-1980 Toyota Corolla TE72 4-door sedan 2014-present
-2002 Lexus IS 300 2015-present
toyotero2dend

Re: Conversion to electric fuel pump

Post by toyotero2dend »

If you don't mind the noise it can go in the trunk,but if it's outside the noise will be just a bit less,It can be placed on the rail where the rear bumper attaches to..
Tate Quieto
bubbajohnson

Post by bubbajohnson »

I put my electric pump as low on the firewall/front rail as I could (For gravity to help feed) and have a big canister filter just off the tank, in the back of the car, plus one more extra fine filter between the pump and the pressure regulator.
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

bubbajohnson wrote:I put my electric pump as low on the firewall/front rail as I could (For gravity to help feed) and have a big canister filter just off the tank, in the back of the car, plus one more extra fine filter between the pump and the pressure regulator.
do you have pictures?
-1992 Mazda MX-3 RS 2005-2012 *REST IN PIECES*
-2003.5 MAZDASPEED Protege #882 2012-2015 SOLD!
-2003 MAZDASPEED Protege #1186 2014-2015 SOLD!
-1980 Toyota Corolla TE72 4-door sedan 2014-present
-2002 Lexus IS 300 2015-present
bubbajohnson

Post by bubbajohnson »

im2bad4ya wrote:
bubbajohnson wrote:I put my electric pump as low on the firewall/front rail as I could (For gravity to help feed) and have a big canister filter just off the tank, in the back of the car, plus one more extra fine filter between the pump and the pressure regulator.
do you have pictures?
Nothing handy, but it's as low as it can go on the passenger side of th firewall, without getting interference from the engine block, or the wheel well.
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Thats depend on the fuelpump brand some fuel pump really doesn't have the capacity to suck from the tank mostly when the fuel demand is the highest
The day we learn to think
bubbajohnson

Post by bubbajohnson »

BOBLOOK wrote:
Thats depend on the fuelpump brand some fuel pump really doesn't have the capacity to suck from the tank mostly when the fuel demand is the highest
It's been working fine for 5 years now. :lol: I don't worry about it, on flat ground fuel comes through when you take the supply line off the pump :D.
7t5-27

Post by 7t5-27 »

As long as the pump is gravity fed from the tank it should work with out issues I have seen them mounted in the back and the front all gravity fed and worry free.
Good luck
Myers
its a TA 27 not a TE 27