ae71 front suspension to ae86

General information for parts interchange and modification.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

Escoriasza

ae71 front suspension to ae86

Post by Escoriasza »

So I have an ae71sr5 liftback and was looking at coils to install and found more options for the ae86 gts so I bought an entire front suspension top and bottom. But then I noticed techno tuning already sells a bolt on kit for the ae71 so I'm stuck whether I should bother installing or not. I was also wondering the brakes would be an upgrade from the ae71?
oldeskewltoy

Re: ae71 front suspension to ae86

Post by oldeskewltoy »

Escoriasza wrote:So I have an ae71sr5 liftback and was looking at coils to install and found more options for the ae86 gts so I bought an entire front suspension top and bottom. But then I noticed techno tuning already sells a bolt on kit for the ae71 so I'm stuck whether I should bother installing or not. I was also wondering the brakes would be an upgrade from the ae71?
AE71 and AE86 are very similar EXCEPT the distance between the shock towers. The AE71 has 12mm MORE measuring across the shock towers then an AE86. The lower control arms are the same length, and the front cross members are nearly identical. So if you do the math, using AE86 struts on an AE71 will automatically give you positive camber (not the good kind, that is negative camber).

So to use AE86 struts on an AE71 you must compensate by either adding 12mm in the lower control arms, or fit chamber plates.

When I used AE86 suspension on my AE71... I had an adjustable set of lower control arms built

Escoriasza

Post by Escoriasza »

Thank you. That is the answer I was looking for. Would the brakes be an upgrade or no?
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

Escoriasza wrote:Thank you. That is the answer I was looking for. Would the brakes be an upgrade or no?
A moderate upgrade because the AE71 used solid brake rotors, while the AE86 uses vented rotors. I'm also running an AE86 disc brake rear so my AE71 has 4 wheel disc brakes :o