can I change my t40 to t50?

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

ke306

can I change my t40 to t50?

Post by ke306 »

I have a 76 corolla with a 2tc and t40. I bought a 3tc and t50 out of an 82 but I'm not quite ready to change the whole drive train. Does anybody know if I can just swap the tranny out without problems. I understand there is a length problem roo and possibly other problems. Has anybody who has done this give a guy some advice so I don't have to rip everything apart just to find that it doesn't work.
baldo

Re: can I change my t40 to t50?

Post by baldo »

"I'm not quite ready to change the whole drive train" If you know there is a length problem that by itself involves maybe cutting the floor for the shifter, transs bracket and driveshaft.

BTW "Does anybody know if I can just swap the tranny out without problems. I understand there is a length problem roo and possibly other problems". :shock: :? :lol:
72te27

Re: can I change my t40 to t50?

Post by 72te27 »

Trade the "newer" t50 for an older one, if you can find one. It will match the length of your t40. All you have to decide is which bellhousing based on which starter and clutch you want to use.
I switched my '72's t40 for a '78 t50. Just for ease of installation i used the '72's bellhousing and "big" starter, though i may, in the future, switch to the t50 bellhousing and the smaller geared starter.