Has Anyone Installed Air Shocks on Rear of TE72?

General information for parts interchange and modification.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

rolla_rage

Has Anyone Installed Air Shocks on Rear of TE72?

Post by rolla_rage »

My 82 wagon is my daily driver, so that means it does the toy towing and hauling too. I have a set of leaf helpers on there, but air shocks or air bags would be ideal because I really only need the extra spring rate a couple trips a month when loaded down. It's already pretty tight under there with the rear sway, custom drag links and Chevy S-10 rear axle, so I would prefer to replace the shocks with air shocks rather than add air bags.

I removed and measured my rear strut:
Overall extended length (tip of stud to outer edge of lower collar) 23", compressed 15" (stroke 8")
Lower bushing hole is about 5/8" bore, upper stud is M10
Largest diameter is 2.25"

I did some looking on Ebay and there are some I think I could make work based on stroke, but they all have 1/2" dia or smaller lower bushing hole.

Has anyone installed airshocks on the rear of a TE72? What brand/PN?

Thanks,
-J
Ecotec 2.0L LNF powered 82 Corolla Wagon daily driver. 314whp/344TQ
baldo

Re: Has Anyone Installed Air Shocks on Rear of TE72?

Post by baldo »

You might want to look in a low rider site. I have seen a few hanging side ways! :lol:
Antuno

Post by Antuno »

Not on my wagon but on my XB, Monroe air shocks with QA1 coilover springs. Helps when having passengers, heavy items and leveling.

This tech sheet posted on clubxb may help. http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloads/ ... hSheet.pdf
Antuno

Post by Antuno »

Using the 1986 camaro as a compatible option for our wagon rears (someone correct me if this camaro is a no go) the MA805 should work...$54.79 the pair.....conus.....shipment to PR quotes $40, sucks for me.

* * * Fitment Needs Confirmation* * ** * * Fitment Needs Confirmation* * ** * * Fitment Needs Confirmation* * ** * * Fitment Needs Confirmation* * *

rolla_rage

Post by rolla_rage »

Hey Antuno, thanks for the reply. I ended up installing Monroe MA810's. I'm sure the 805's would work fine too. Same deal, about $60 for the pair from Oreilly's and even include the air hose kit. I've had them on there for a couple weeks and they are great! At ~10psi there is no noticeable difference from stock shock and at 60psi it raises the rear ~1/2" and stiffens it up. Still haven't tried them with dirtbike on the back (~250lbs), but seems promising so far.

I did make some small modifications to the MA810 shocks. I cut maybe 5/8" of the upper stud off and trimmed down the rubber donut between the upper bracket and the shock body (to effectively reduce the length of the shock when installed).

-J
Ecotec 2.0L LNF powered 82 Corolla Wagon daily driver. 314whp/344TQ
Antuno

Post by Antuno »

Awesome! Post some pics when you're able to lowered and raised for reference.