3tc sputtering badly

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

80swagon

3tc sputtering badly

Post by 80swagon »

Hey I've got a te72 with a 3tc and t50 manual swap

Lately the car will idle and run in 1st and 2nd gear fine, but after driving for a bit or under any decent load it'll start sputtering and cutting out on me. I have to limp it home at like 20 mph while it tries to shut off. While sputtering, I'll hear it still sucking in air, fuel was flowing through the filter when i had a chance to watch it. I haven't been able to witness if the distributor is firing all 4 while sputtering, it rarely happens when just idling/revving in neutral.
Tomorrow I'm cleaning up the few electrical contacts and going to attempt to take apart and clean the carb.I'll post an update.

So far I've:
-Spark:
New:
Spark plugs
Spark plug wires
Distributor cap
Distributor Rotor

-Fuel:
New: fuel lines
Had a new pump, it shattered, old one still running fine
Filter

Carb is a weber 32/36 w/ an electric choke
BOBLOOK

Re: 3tc sputtering badly

Post by BOBLOOK »

It sound like the carb accelleration pump diaphram needs to be replaced . This is the hesitation or "bog" stutter what you are getting when you suddenly hit the gas.Mostly when you hit the gas when you try do accelerate the warmer the engine temp the worse it get.
The day we learn to think
80swagon

Re: 3tc sputtering badly

Post by 80swagon »

Hey sorry you got back to me when I went underway for a short period/ I had rebuilt the carb, replaced the acceleration pump and no improvement. It less bogs suddenly hitting the gas, more so it'll accelerate up to a point consistently until it slowly starts to cutout and feels like it just isn't getting any fuel. Yet in neutral, it revs just fine.