76-86 Transmission Compatibily Questions

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

marsmann

76-86 Transmission Compatibily Questions

Post by marsmann »

Hi all.

For as long as I've been working on cars, I typically just run stock setups and maintain them the way they are. I've never been into the customization or performance aspect. I've been trying to do some research lately both here and on other online sources about transmissions. The T50 in my 78 TE51 with stock 2tc is on its way out. Rebuild kits are hard to find these days and usually it is easier to find a used one and swap it out but I'm not having much luck sourcing a good, known working T50. So, I've begun to consider other options but that is where I am uncertain.

If I can't find a T50, it is my understanding other units (from certain year Celicas, Coronas or even newer Corollas) may be used. Can someone school me on this? Am I able to use w5x series from Celicas and with an adapter plate or something? Possibly swap bell housings to mate up to the 2tc block? I remember there being at least one Celica that was supposed to be compatible. I haven't seen a W series transmission since the early 90s so I don't know anything about their length, rear output splines and shifter locations. I know that T50s up to 85 would work if I swap the bellhousing but I need a 20 spline output :( and the gear selector is moved. I appreciate any info anyone may have or even possible leads for a replacement. I'm going to have to park it as it howls in every gear save 4th gear.

Thanks!
oldeskewltoy

Re: 76-86 Transmission Compatibily Questions

Post by oldeskewltoy »

you have a few options...

1) W58 aka the Supra box is VERY strong, and with an adapter - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread. ... st&t=35548 It can be bolted to your bell and installed with minimal mods to the car.

2) J160 aka AZ6 6 speed from the Lexus IS200 (1GG inline 6 powered), or from the Toyota Altezza (3SGE BEAMS) This transmission should bolt directly on to your engine... no need for an adapter - from my understanding the "T" bolt pattern is nearly identical to the "S" and "G". To have it "bolt in" without modifying your car you will need a LEEN shifter relocation kit for it

3) adapter for a T5 (Ford 5 speed)
marsmann

Post by marsmann »

Thanks oldeskewltoy. I appreciate those tips and will certainly research them further. It sounds like with most of those options I will need a different driveshaft since moving over the output shaft could be impossible or difficult. Maybe its time to just replace the entire drivetrain... for the cost of any custom or fabrication work I can probably find a 3tc from a post 82 corolla to include the 22 spline variant of the T50 and be done with it. Hmmm... I'll have to research a bit more and consider my options...
cousin eddy

Post by cousin eddy »

oldeskewltoy do you know where you can get an adapter for a ford or chevy T5?
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

cousin eddy wrote:oldeskewltoy do you know where you can get an adapter for a ford or chevy T5?
nope... I was TOLD there is one...