I think my dizzy is off a tooth or 2

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

jec

I think my dizzy is off a tooth or 2

Post by jec »

I put the car at TDC and checked the position of the rotor button like the book says and the button is not lined up with #1 wire position. It sits past it. Putting it at 7degrees BTDC it still doesnt line up. I guess who ever put the dizzy in put it a tooth or 2 off? How can the car run like this?
BOBLOOK

Re: I think my dizzy is off a tooth or 2

Post by BOBLOOK »

Is youre chain okay without to much wear ? It can be also that the chain is installed incorrectly, to check that you need to to check the #1 cyl valve positions
The day we learn to think
cousin eddy

Post by cousin eddy »

I'm gonna agree with boblook about the chain, even if the dizzy was a tooth off it should still show the correct timing relative to the mark on the crank.
NME308

Post by NME308 »

A single tooth difference makes the rotor move a long way!
If the spark can stil jump back to the correct pole rather than an incorrect one being closer then the engine will still run happily enough as long as the dizzy is the problem rather than the timing chain being off & putting the cam timing out.

Lift that dizzy out noting how far the rotor moves & move the oil pump drive a tad in the same direction with a screwdriver so it will hopefully line up with the dizzys new position. Put the dizzy back in while finding the next earliest tooth from the position it came out at. Once it drops back down it should be sitting much closer to where it should be. Check if the timing is all correct!

Cheers,
Jason
73te27

Post by 73te27 »

I always set the oil pump straight to #1 but when installing the dizzy, the rotor rotates clockwise till it points to the water neck. This is how I have always done it and the way most I have seen are done. If the rotor is pointing at the water neck then its correct.