AE86 w 3tc slight smoking issue

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

jman1026

AE86 w 3tc slight smoking issue

Post by jman1026 »

Hey guys. So recently my car has begun to smoke. It's barely noticeable when in idle but once the motor goes under load it begins. I found a bit of anti freeze leaking from the left side, either from under the intake mani or the fuel pump. I pulled the plugs earlier & this is how they look. #2 looks a bit oily in the pics but in person it just looked like carbon. the motor is a stock 3tc, yr & mileage unknown. She idles fine & the power seems to be all there..... Any & all info/advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

1st pics are with cell phone flash, 2nd set is without....
Attachments
plugs wo flash.jpg
plugs wo flash.jpg (65.73 KiB) Viewed 10456 times
plugs w flash.jpg
plugs w flash.jpg (74.49 KiB) Viewed 10456 times
Toyota1515

Re: AE86 w 3tc slight smoking issue

Post by Toyota1515 »

That #2 cylinder looks like is getting oil on it but is burning it your smoking is coming from that, but why is getting oil maybe the oil control rings on the pistons are weak or valve stem seals are bad who knows, i got a quick solution that works 80% of the times, if you dont want to rebuild, empty a small bottle of brake fluid on all 4 cylinders rotate the engine till all 4 cylinders are parallel with each other and pour tru the plug holes the content of that brake fluid bottle, and leave it for couple of days, after that then spin the engine without the plugs on it to get rid of the remaining fluid off of the cylinders change the oil and filter and install the plugs start it up and after warming it up rev the hell out of it till smokes clears that should do it if not there is no other way but rebuilt the engine!

Done it many times with awesome results.
SF5 FOZZY
baldo

Post by baldo »

Never heard of anti freeze coming from fuel pump. Dont think it can happen. First things first......... what color is the smoke? Second find that leak! :lol:
Hey toyota, is that better than using transs fluid?
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

baldo wrote:Never heard of anti freeze coming from fuel pump. Dont think it can happen. First things first......... what color is the smoke? Second find that leak! :lol:
Hey toyota, is that better than using transs fluid?
works faster! :lol:
SF5 FOZZY
jman1026

Post by jman1026 »

Toyota1515 wrote:That #2 cylinder looks like is getting oil on it but is burning it your smoking is coming from that, but why is getting oil maybe the oil control rings on the pistons are weak or valve stem seals are bad who knows, i got a quick solution that works 80% of the times, if you dont want to rebuild, empty a small bottle of brake fluid on all 4 cylinders rotate the engine till all 4 cylinders are parallel with each other and pour tru the plug holes the content of that brake fluid bottle, and leave it for couple of days, after that then spin the engine without the plugs on it to get rid of the remaining fluid off of the cylinders change the oil and filter and install the plugs start it up and after warming it up rev the hell out of it till smokes clears that should do it if not there is no other way but rebuilt the engine!

Done it many times with awesome results.
Sounds doable. More than likely that leak we spotted was prob from the intake gasket. I advised him to get a bottle of gunk n clean all the crap that's on there now so it can be much easier to trace. Could the carb being out of tune & being set rich cause it to smoke?? It has almost all the vacuum lines clamped off and a few nipples are just open w nothing on them. If u would like pics I can post some tomorrow morning. Thanks for the advice man, that brake fluid mod sounds like something we'll give a shot. I'm assuming doing that will loosen up any crap that could be causing the issue, correct??
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

yeap
SF5 FOZZY
VinceG2

Post by VinceG2 »

Is the brake fluid/transmission fluid deal the same as using seamfoam on the engine?
jman1026

Post by jman1026 »

Thanks for the info guys is greatly appreciated
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

I have use all of them and so far the brake fluid has being work the bast for me!
SF5 FOZZY
skabrock5

Post by skabrock5 »

last time i had antifreeze leaking out of the side, it was a crack on the block.