Timing time need help

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

781masshole3tc

Timing time need help

Post by 781masshole3tc »

hello everyone, my 3tc 80 te72 5sp wagon blah blah doesnt stall that often lol but its time to set the timing, i purchased a used Sun standard style timing light and i need to know which distributer hose to plug before doing this procedure, there are to hoses coming out, and once that is figured out my under hood decal is missing so i dont know what to set the timing at, and when i plug this distributer hose do i also plug the distibuter end also or just leave it open, thanks everyone!
VinceG2

Re: Timing time need help

Post by VinceG2 »

I could be wrong but I don't believe you disconnect the hoses to do the timing, just set it to 10 degrees BTC. In the manual from Toyota itself. It then says to disconnect the hose (it just mentions one, my manual is from June 1978, before there were 2 vacuum connections), and you should notice the timing mark move.

Last edited by VinceG2 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
781masshole3tc

Post by 781masshole3tc »

woohoo thanks for this info, my timing light is arriving this week (ebay).
781masshole3tc

Post by 781masshole3tc »

so far so good its been a few days and ive been checking the timing with my new aquired sun timing light and its been staying at 10*btc, i just ordered new spark plug wires, cap, rotor, pcv and grommet, hopefully this should smoothen out things, i recently checked my spark plugs and spark plug #1 is carbon fouled and the other 3 are fine so im hoping maybe i have a bad #1 wire or #1 on cap is gonzo. itll be about a week till ebay gets my stuff to me. wish me luck lol.