carb/efi questions/input

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

totorote27

carb/efi questions/input

Post by totorote27 »

i have a few questions regarding dual sidedrafts and there operation. also i need thoughts and input on converting to fuel injection.

i have built a 1972 te27 rally car with engine specs as follows:
44mm intake valves/39mm exhaust valves
double valve springs
norris 368 cam(490 lift/268 duration)
eagle connecting rods
race prepped 3tc crank
87mm wiseco pistons
distributor is locked(no mechanical or vacuum advance) with timing set at 28* BTDC
MSD 6al
44mm mikuni sidedrafts w/mikuni manifold and jetting is 140 main, 60 pump nozzle, 57.5 pilot, 170 main air, air/fuel mixture screw is out 1 7/8 turns and throttle stop screw is a 1/4 turn past where the screw contacts the throttle arm. i am tuning the car at 3250ft elevation

my question are:
1.) how to i determine if i am over carbed? the car runs rich/stoich as it warms up but once it is warm it goes pretty lean. i have a set of 40mm carbs that i am thinking about trying out but they need to be rebuilt
2.) i recently went to a rally that had elevation changes from 2750ft to 6500ft. it seems like this could be a problem for the carbs. is there a way to deal with this?
3.) i am contemplating on converting to fuel injection but am not to sure on what is involved with doing so or how to get there. Can the stock fuel tank be used? any thoughts or input on this would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
UtahSleeper

Re: carb/efi questions/input

Post by UtahSleeper »

I can comment a little on the EFI.

EFI can handle elevation change alot better. In regards to using the stock tank, I imagine it can be done since you just need something for a pump to suck through and a line to return through. I dont recall if the stock tank has a return line though, so you may have to make that work.

There are alot of EFI systems out there. I would look into megasquirt just to gain some knowledge, but make a decision based on what you need.

To do EFI you would need a intake manifold (from a 3te or a custom made manifold) injectors and then all the damn wiring lol. It is a fair amount of work, but I love EFI so far. Foxau2 and I have build threads showing what we went through to get megasquirt woriking on our cars.
Attempt at a car channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/UtahSleeper
1980 Corolla
1988 Celica Alltrac
2013 FR-S
totorote27

Post by totorote27 »

anybody have experience with a set up like this?

http://www.racetep.com/twmframe.html
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

totorote27 wrote:anybody have experience with a set up like this?

http://www.racetep.com/twmframe.html
Wow nice ITB's ;)
The day we learn to think
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

Those are nice!
SF5 FOZZY
totorote27

Post by totorote27 »

the 2900 series is what i am considering. just not to sure what else i would need for an overall good setup.(air filters, sensors, etc)