Engine position when removing/installing distributor

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

VinceG2

Engine position when removing/installing distributor

Post by VinceG2 »

Before removing or reinstalling the distributor, do I set the engine to TDC, or to 10 degrees BTDC? I am thinking it should be at 10 degrees BTDC, but would like to verify. Thanks!

BTW, this is on a stock 1975 2T-C Corolla.
73te27

Re: Engine position when removing/installing distributor

Post by 73te27 »

Doesnt really matter as long as oil pump is at 12 oclock when you reinstall dizzy and retime with a gun, that 10 degrees wont matter.
When I drop in my dizzy, I turn key to on position and rotate dizzy till timing light "pops", advance a little, starts up one crack.
mallito1.8

Post by mallito1.8 »

73te27 wrote:Doesnt really matter as long as oil pump is at 12 oclock when you reinstall dizzy and retime with a gun, that 10 degrees wont matter.
When I drop in my dizzy, I turn key to on position and rotate dizzy till timing light "pops", advance a little, starts up one crack.
Question on that I just reinstalled my dizzy but didn't put oil pump to 12 o'clock sounds stupid but can you explain how. What i did was put my timing damper o to o meaning first cylinder up them my rotor was pointing at # 1 spark plug cable and my car fired right up but noticed my oil pressure was around 20 wich should be higher cause it's chimmed any suggestions thanks
73te27

Post by 73te27 »

Lining up the oil pump doesnt have anything to do with oil pressure. It just lines up the rotor to face where you want it. I usually set my rotor towards water neck. Just turn oil pump with a long screwdriver.

Personally I dont want too much oil pressure. 20 lbs at idle is more then I run, I have 10 lbs. I shoot for 10 lbs per 1000 rpm. My oil pressure is almost as accurate as my tach, 60 lbs at 6k etc. I adjust my oil pressure with the oil weight. Right now Im running 5/20.
mallito1.8

Post by mallito1.8 »

73te27 wrote:Lining up the oil pump doesnt have anything to do with oil pressure. It just lines up the rotor to face where you want it. I usually set my rotor towards water neck. Just turn oil pump with a long screwdriver.

Personally I dont want too much oil pressure. 20 lbs at idle is more then I run, I have 10 lbs. I shoot for 10 lbs per 1000 rpm. My oil pressure is almost as accurate as my tach, 60 lbs at 6k etc. I adjust my oil pressure with the oil weight. Right now Im running 5/20.
Ok thanks buddy