is a fuel return really needed for dual 45dcoe

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

toyorotor

Re: is a fuel return really needed for dual 45dcoe

Post by toyorotor »

All good points...... thanks everyone for your input...
bubbajohnson

Post by bubbajohnson »

You really should run a return line for all the already listed reasons. I've had trouble with the float bowls overfilling without return lines, even with a pressure regulator!
Spudenater

Post by Spudenater »

This is all very good information. I guess I never realized the necessity because my setup seems to do well with very few mods. I mean I'm running a single 40 DCOE on a stock mechanical pump with no fuel return or regulator or anything. Runs like a champ! The only complaint I have is if I floor it really fast it will stumble, but I rarely find myself doing anything like that...
bubbajohnson

Post by bubbajohnson »

Spudenater wrote:This is all very good information. I guess I never realized the necessity because my setup seems to do well with very few mods. I mean I'm running a single 40 DCOE on a stock mechanical pump with no fuel return or regulator or anything. Runs like a champ! The only complaint I have is if I floor it really fast it will stumble, but I rarely find myself doing anything like that...
That thing will wake up like you wouldn't believe with a good electric pump and regulator set up. My liftback has a single 40DCOE and ran ok, like yours, on the stock pump, but would stumble under heavy throttle. Now with an electric Holley pump, regulator and return line it never stumbles and has way more top end!!!
Spudenater

Post by Spudenater »

Interesting. I'll have to see about some improvements when I get the funds to do so then...
totorote27

Post by totorote27 »

I am running dual 40's right now. I am having some fuel delivery issues and I'm thinking it's related to no return line. I was wondering if it is necessary to use a fuel pressure regulator after the carbs on the return line or can you just let it free flow. I am currently using a carter 4070 fuel pump
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

After
The day we learn to think
totorote27

Post by totorote27 »

Any recommendations on a good reliable low pressure regulator
totorote27

Post by totorote27 »

Also if the pump dead heads at 4.5 - 5 psi (the required pressure for the carbs) is it still necessary to run a regulator on the return line
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

totorote27 wrote:Also if the pump dead heads at 4.5 - 5 psi (the required pressure for the carbs) is it still necessary to run a regulator on the return line
I think you will face pressure spikes at idle !

toyotero2dend wrote:holley red fuel pump + holley fuel reg. + fuel gauge and set it to 4 pounds that's it turn it on and go have fun ;)
The day we learn to think