Brake problems.

General information for parts interchange and modification.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

bombapinoy

Brake problems.

Post by bombapinoy »

Hi all. I converted my te72 front struts to ae86 struts, resulting in me upgrading my front brakes to ae86 calipers. When this happened My master gave out and replaced that. However after replacing that, along with the booster, the brakes were still too spongy that it would go all the way to the floor and i wouldnt really call it braking. So I replaced the soft lines in the front and also rebuilt the calipers but still the same problem. I am seriously stumped. Also I bled the brakes several times as to no luck. Please help guys.
BOBLOOK

Re: Brake problems.

Post by BOBLOOK »

Is your disc surface okay did you install new brake pads on the old disc

How does the brake surface look

The day we learn to think
bombapinoy

Post by bombapinoy »

Yes I have. Everything is new. Booster, lines, calipers, cylinders. Only thing in the system that hasnt been changed is the proportioning valve.
baldo

Post by baldo »

Have you checked the rear brakes? One time I changed my front brakes and a rear cylinder went out. If you bleed the brakes and they are "good", then when you drive the brakes dont work. It sounds like a leak or the booster. The "new" boosters that we buy at the store are rebuilt, so there is a good chance its defective. I bought a "new" alternator and the thing disintegrated in less than 2 miles driving! Also got some "new" calipers that were defective.
Spudenater

Post by Spudenater »

Seconded on checking the rear cylinders, I have also had a similar problem, and it turned out to be my drivers side rear cylinder.
cousin eddy

Post by cousin eddy »

Mine are the same way. If i slowly press the brake in I can go all the way to the floor with no pressure. The rear cylinders leak under slight increases in pressure but will work for the most part when you hit the pedal hard so the brakes only really feel good when I slam on them or preload the drums with the emergency brake for better contact.
bombapinoy

Post by bombapinoy »

Finally fixed the problem guys. It was because the way i put on the front caliper. Apparently it was only a mm off and it caused my whole system to go bonkers. >_< apparently the ae86 front calipers are like that so if anybody is doing a ae86 brake swap this is that problem.