lost lug key

General information for parts interchange and modification.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

lepimpofpimps

lost lug key

Post by lepimpofpimps »

So a while back I got a flat and had to remove the wheel to swap the tire,. Turns out it took 2 weeks and when I finally got it swapped, I was too excited to go drive that I didn't realize the lug nut key was still on the wheel and not on the socket I was using to tighten the lug nut and took off driving in my rolla,. I realised I lost it when I was cleaning up and noticed the socket was bare without the key , usually it comes with the socket but this time it stayed on the wheel and lost it on my lil drive,. Now I have another flat and without the key!

Tried using autozonez emergency lug nut remover but the once size that fits the lug is too big to fit in between my wheel and lug,. So my question is what other options do I have,?

Please help it's driving me mad I can't drive my rolla :|
bryanhernandez3727

Re: lost lug key

Post by bryanhernandez3727 »

Try to find a socket thats can just squeeze over the lug key and jam the socket over the lug key, and try to take it off, now to take it out the lug key from the socket, if you have a bench vise, take the socket and grip it, and get a pin punch, and through the hole on top of the socket punch the lug key out.
Corolla Kid
トヨタ
lepimpofpimps

Post by lepimpofpimps »

So the size that fits the lug is a 22socket but my Rota wheels won't let the socket fit in between the spokes where the lug is,. They're watanabe wana be rotas lol

Thinking about welding a socket on the face of the lug then just twist it off ,?
bryanhernandez3727

Post by bryanhernandez3727 »

you could do that but might have a chance of messing up the paint on the rims, depending on how in the lug is.
Corolla Kid
トヨタ
baldo

Post by baldo »

You got a pic of your problem? Are they long or short lugs? Are they all the way in the rim?
lepimpofpimps

Post by lepimpofpimps »

baldo wrote:You got a pic of your problem? Are they long or short lugs? Are they all the way in the rim?
Yea I do, it's the rear wheel

http://wfcfittedmedia.files.wordpress.c ... g_2953.jpg
baldo

Post by baldo »

Well nice car but cant really see the rims......... :roll: :lol: I can see (maybe) that the lugs are IN the rims. The picture is to see if you have open lugs or closed ones or what kind. If they are open you can try to jam something in the middle if you have room. You know they sell thin wall sockets also right? Since I dont really know what kind of lugs you have I can only tell you to check on youtube. If you have smooth surface the only way would be with a removal socket. If it has splines then you can use a thin regular socket to remove it.
lepimpofpimps

Post by lepimpofpimps »

baldo wrote:Well nice car but cant really see the rims......... :roll: :lol: I can see (maybe) that the lugs are IN the rims. The picture is to see if you have open lugs or closed ones or what kind. If they are open you can try to jam something in the middle if you have room. You know they sell thin wall sockets also right? Since I dont really know what kind of lugs you have I can only tell you to check on youtube. If you have smooth surface the only way would be with a removal socket. If it has splines then you can use a thin regular socket to remove it.
ImageImageImageImageImage
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Houston you have an problem :shock: :shock:
The day we learn to think
lepimpofpimps

Post by lepimpofpimps »

Lol I know I'm screwed,. I think the thin wall sockets might do the trick, regular impact sockets just barely come in contact with the spokes so I'm sure a thin wall might help,. I found this but not sure about it

http://www.frsport.com/Deep-Thin-Wall-F ... oCgOPw_wcB