lost lug key

General information for parts interchange and modification.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

lepimpofpimps

Re: lost lug key

Post by lepimpofpimps »

Hey what if I slap on some epoxy putty Inside the lock lug and slap on a normal lug to it let it dry a day and could it possibly be strong enough to let me turn out the lock lug using the normal lug with epoxy bonding them together,? :lol:
baldo

Post by baldo »

Tried it, you will waste your time with epoxy. You might be able to find a nut that fits there and weld it? That might work if you find a big one. You can also try the wheel remover, it will fight you but you have to win! :lol: Another tip........ dont buy those again! :)
lepimpofpimps

Post by lepimpofpimps »

Dam and here I thought I found a new way to remove them haha, yea welding is still on my list,. I was also thinking about heating/torching the wheel key since it fits just barely, if I hear it it will expand a bit and I'll quickly hammer it on let it cool and grip the lock,?
baldo

Post by baldo »

HAHA!! Man you are freaking out!!! Think about what you just said. The lock remover barely fits, so you are going to torch the lug so it can expand and hammer the lock remover? :o :shock: :? :roll: :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Best thing that I see is welding a big nut that fits inside.......... (damn that sound dirty)........ Anyways that way I dont see how you can damage the rims. Since the lug is open in the middle you can also weld anything inside that you can grip and take it off. The easy way is to try it with the remover. You need an impact or a good electric one, a hammer, an extension, patience and about 2 hours. When it happened to me, they came off after taking 2 breaks and when I said ok, one last time. :lol:
It just hit me, find a nut that fits snug and leaves enough room to take it out with a breaker bar. No welding!
lepimpofpimps

Post by lepimpofpimps »

Ment to say the lug wrench,. I'm going to torch the lug wrench to expand it then hammer it on the lock,. The welding is last resort so I don't scar up the wheels plus finding a weld will take time
lepimpofpimps

Post by lepimpofpimps »

These are the same size, took this one from the front Set, car came with different locks for front and back, why idk,. Image
This is the lug wrench I'm thinking about torching , see how it has a snug fit in the lug holes, other sockets are too fat and the spokes block the socket from entering,. But even with hammering it hard it won't bite as much,.
baldo

Post by baldo »

That might work :| but once you heat the wrench it might not fit the hole. :evil: The other thing is careful about "hammering" We have done that at work and the lug cracked in pieces and had to send it somewhere. Locks are softer and brittle not like regular lugs. By heating it up you are hoping that it will reduce the size and bite on it. But its still going to be smooth and not work. You need psi and torque, so a gun is a must.
If that fits in there Im pretty sure a socket will too, go to the store and find one. Have you tried a nut to fit inside? That looks like the easiest way to me. Another question, do you have a lock remover? Remember you are not trying to make it fit, you just want to make it grab just enough to turn it. Those two ways are the best ways to go for me.
Another thing with the thin socket, try to spray the inside with rubberized material and let it dry. That way it can grab it a bit more. Hurry up and try something! You are making me :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol:
lepimpofpimps

Post by lepimpofpimps »

I've tried that, I bought the emergency lock lug remover from AutoZone, it was too thick and my spokes blocked it,. Other sockets that would fit the gap are to small to bit the lock,.

And a nut,? I think I get what you're saying with the nut but do explain,.

I have the key to the front I've tried pressing it hard against the lock and turning but it won't budge,.

And by heating it up I want it to expand just a bit for when I do hammer it will bite on or slip on the lock easier,
baldo

Post by baldo »

Ok..... a... nut........ :lol: I mean a nut big enough to fit where the key goes. Like a 14 or 16 inch nut (whatever fits in the lock) that fits half way inside the lug and the other half you can use a socket to remove it. I have said this like 5 times I dont think you still understand. :evil: A 6, 8 or 10 sided nut like the ones for the carb adapter, a hex nut. Look at your rear suspension lateral bars, there is a bolt and a nut holding it, you need to find a nut that fits in the lock.
DO NOT MAKE ME GO OVER THERE AND SHOW YOU HOW ITS DONE SON!!! :lol:
baldo

Post by baldo »

Oh yeah by the way, autozone cheap parts will not work because the are too big. I got mines on ebay from out of the country for like $50. I think you have to look by the size.