anyone running A/C ? on 3tc

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

toyorotor

anyone running A/C ? on 3tc

Post by toyorotor »

What compressor are you using? Is there anything else that will fit?
rolla_rage

Re: anyone running A/C ? on 3tc

Post by rolla_rage »

toyorotor wrote:What compressor are you using? Is there anything else that will fit?
Could you use the Toyota one? My 82 wagon came with factory AC.

-J
Ecotec 2.0L LNF powered 82 Corolla Wagon daily driver. 314whp/344TQ
Spudenater

Post by Spudenater »

Yeah, I'm just using the stock compressor that came with my '80 wagon. Converted it to R134a a while back as well.
baldo

Post by baldo »

I think he knows he can use a stock compressor guys. He actually has a question that I have wondered myself. Any OTHER compressor that will fit. Upgrade whatever. Its hard to find compressors and if you do they are used or rebuilt. So for a newer car that will fit.
Spudenater

Post by Spudenater »

I guess this will also come off as dumb advice, but anything is do-able with fabrication. To reiterate my point though, if you are concerned about modernizing your a/c, I can vouch for the fact that the 3TC stock compressor (and rest of the system) will handle R134a pressures, considering R12 is next to impossible to find for a good price unless you're well connected. Anything that would be close to a bolt on or mild fab solution I would expect to be so old that it would also be an R12 compressor, which makes finding a different on sort of a moot point. Perhaps, though, there is a more modern, easily adaptable conversion. Hell, if someone figured out how to adapt a Saturn (GM) alternator, perhaps something similar could be done with an a/c compressor. Hardest part's probably the brackets after all.
baldo

Post by baldo »

Im pretty sure anybody that has a/c is running 134a right now. Yes anything can be done with fabrication. It is 2015, I think most of us have seen what can be done to cars. Most of us know that r12 is a thing of the past. So you said what we are asking and wondering again with "Perhaps, though, there is a more modern, easily adaptable conversion." Back to where we were. Anybody has done this?
Its not dumb advice, you are just trying to help. But we are looking for that 1 guy that has done it or somebody that can point us in the right direction. Heck, maybe it cant be done and we sound dumb for asking! :lol:
toyorotor

Post by toyorotor »

Thanks Baldo and Spudenater for your help, I was thinking of mocking up a Sanden SD508 compressor to the Factory bracket, But some Fab Works need to be done. And the problem i see is that if it doesn't line up perfect it will eat the belt....