Trying to run my engine this week, help??

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

ColMustard

Trying to run my engine this week, help??

Post by ColMustard »

all, I'm just finishing up putting 3tc into my ke30 and have a few questions. Right now it's just stock 3tc with Weber carb, msd ignition, headers, and egr has been deleted

1. 3kc had voltage regulator and charcoal filter, do I need those with 3tc?

2. Carb hoses: one from carb to vaccuum advance, one from intake manifold to vaccuum advance, one from intake to brake booster and pcv valve to air element.
3. What's a good 12v and ground for the msd ignition? Old ignition had tons of wires not sure which ones 12v .
These are the only things keeping me from starting the engine want to mak
NME308

Re: Trying to run my engine this week, help??

Post by NME308 »

Hi mate,
The standard alternator on the 3TC's we got over here in Australia require an external voltage regulator.

You will need a vacuum reference for the brake booster and one source of vacuum should suffice for the vacuum advance. The PCV would benefit from being plumbed back to between air filter and carb if possible.

The MSD ignitions need a power connection straight to battery (heavy gauge fuse probably recommendable), and an earth back to the battery. There should also be a key on power wire to the MSD and the original coil positive is a good one to tap into for this.

Good luck!

Kind Regards,
Jason
ColMustard

Post by ColMustard »

Okay, and I read charcoal canister is more for emmisions which I don't have to worry about where I live. And for vaccum advance I just plug the other port?
ColMustard

Post by ColMustard »

And what do you mean when you say, "The PCV would benefit from being plumbed back to between air filter and carb if possible." There's a hole on the bottom of the air element or filter and the carb came with a plastic tube and the instructions say to use for PCV so I was just going to run hose from that to PCV. Also I think I bought a alternator with external regulator is that the same thing?