Im new and I need advice (TE38/2TC)

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

superhoeper

Im new and I need advice (TE38/2TC)

Post by superhoeper »

Hey there everybody,
I posted this over at rollaclub and haven't gotten any replies yet, so I decided to post it here to see if anyone has any advice they're willing to lend.

I recently bought a TE38 a couple weeks ago for a new project/daily driver. I don't know much about these cars, and I'm just starting in the automotive program at my school, so I have some questions. The engine idles pretty rough and leaks here and there. I'm planning on rebuilding the engine on somewhat of a budget. I'm going to order a new weber for it in the next couple days since the old original carb is pretty shot. Anyways, I was looking for any advice for rebuilding the engine. I just want it to not leak oil and run well. This is what I have so far for a parts list: re ring kit (what size rings if I'm using stock pistons?), timing set, water pump, fuel pump, oil pump, engine mounts, transmission mount. Is there anything else I need, or anything I can skip out on? I'm on a pretty tight budget since I'm a college student. *Also is there any specific brands I should buy?* All my friends who are datsun fanatics tell me to never use american made parts on a japanese car. They suggested I use an OSK brand timing set and not Cloyes or any other brand that I had found. Also, I believe I may need to change my pilot bearing. Before shifting into reverse, I have to shift into a high gear first so it wont grind and I also have to be careful about shifting into 2nd. Could a bad pilot bearing cause this? Thanks for any help.
ulises_te72

Re: Im new and I need advice (TE38/2TC)

Post by ulises_te72 »

Hey, i work with these engines every day. these are the things you need and don't need to make your engine new again. Full gasket set, piston rings (STD size) and make sure you hone the block before you put the pistons in, timing set, the mounts is not a must but it helps, you can use your old oil pump and your old water pump they almost never go bad. Here are some links where i buy these parts for cheap.
This kit includes brand new pistons, just make sure that before you order, specify that the main bearings, rod bearings and pistons are standard size. Hope this helped
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-1-8L-3TC ... 30&vxp=mtr
superhoeper

Post by superhoeper »

Thanks for the advice. Have you built an engine with one of these kits? Im just curious because most people stay away from ebay parts
ulises_te72

Post by ulises_te72 »

yes, i have built a total of 6 engines with this kit, including my 1982 starlet with 3tc, 1980 corolla and my 1987 b2000 with a 3tc as well. Just because it is sold on ebay does not mean that the brand of the parts and kits are eBay brand. I will highly recommend to bore the block to .40 and buy the pistons and the piston rings for .40 bore. This ensures that non of the compression will get wasted and make the engine run alot stronger. more compression for the same price basically.
baldo

Post by baldo »

If you want a reliable daily driver for years to come, think about this. What year is the car, and is it still running? Old and yes right? lol
If a daily driver just rebuild the engine, engine gasket set, bearing set, bore the block to 40 ( some companies offer over sized pistons with rings ), resurface the flywheel, stock clutch (maybe $100), lifters, springs, pushrods, valves. I mean you can check the specs on some parts if you want to reuse them. Like springs, valves, lifters and stuff. But remember, this car is like 30 years old, the more you put into it the chances are that you die before the engine! :) I would look into a new cam also, but again you can check if its good.
About the carb, if you are leaving it stock a weber might be too much for it. Cause you will use more air and gas. Meaning a header and MSD ignition for peak performance.
Im not really into the transmission problems. I cant find parts for it so you have to take it to rebuild it or something like that. Im pretty sure you can find a used one. Lots of people upgrade their tranny and sell the stock one, so not a big problem there.
superhoeper

Post by superhoeper »

Hey there again. So I haven't really done anything to the car lately, but thats because im trying to figure it all out before I spend money. I have come to the conclusion that I will be replacing my 2tc with a 3tc at some point, and I wanted to try to make purchases that will be able to crossover to the 3tc eventually. I'm in the market for a new carb and an electronic ignition setup. Once I get my 3tc, I will want to blow through turbo it, so I want to buy a carb that can be setup for that later down the road. I have seen one website (http://www.turbogemini.com/) that sells a blow through kit with a modified weber, so I was thinking I could get the weber and ask there advice on modifying it when the time comes. For the electronic ignition, I was wondering if an electronic dizzy off a 3tc would fit my 2tc? And so I'm not confused anymore, what do I need for a full electronic ignition setup? Can I just use an electronic dizzy (from a 2tc or 3tc), a coil (msd blaster 2), replace ignitor with HEI module, and get rid of the ballast? Thanks in advance.