81 corolla rear coilovers?

General information for parts interchange and modification.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

baldo

81 corolla rear coilovers?

Post by baldo »

I have seen set ups for the front and can get the parts. But I am more interested in the rear suspension. They sell good shocks but not coilovers or anything like that. Anybody has done this or know about a kit here in the US?
oldeskewltoy

Re: 81 corolla rear coilovers?

Post by oldeskewltoy »

baldo wrote:I have seen set ups for the front and can get the parts. But I am more interested in the rear suspension. They sell good shocks but not coilovers or anything like that. Anybody has done this or know about a kit here in the US?
81 rear should be the same as AE86... so you likely can get springs to fit on threaded sleeves...

corolllin

Post by corolllin »

Techno Toy Tuning makes a set for the rear. decent price too.. just a bolt in affair to your rear shock tower.

I have been looking at making my own set.. honestly wouldnt be too hard. all you'd need is a good shock, a locking plate that secures (and you'd trust) the spring perch to sit on. then youd just need a custom top hat made that is extended to the mounting space for the spring so you can bolt everything and have clearance. basically what T3 does...
Warren

Post by Warren »

GReedy, Megan, PBM, Stance, BC Racing...
BCWorks
baldo

Post by baldo »

Thanks guys, awesome site corollin! To the other guys, yeah I was not looking to spend $1000 on suspension, just a nice upgrade. :lol:
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

Well, i use the Qa1 stuff and it works just awesome!
By the way if you ask the rear end is a MOPAR 8.75 i recomend those in averything u can have a rear end and they wont break plus u guys got infinite gear ratios well supported aftermarket and will cost you less than a OEM GTS CRAP!

SF5 FOZZY
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Which car came with those MOPAR 8.75 :?:
The day we learn to think
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

BOBLOOK wrote:Which car came with those MOPAR 8.75 :?:
67 72 A Body, Dart, Duster, Demon, Scamp, Valiant, 318, 340, 383
67 73 A and E body Barracuda 318, 340, 383, 440, 426 Hemi automatic only.
70-73 E body challenger >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >>
66 to 72 B bodies Satellite, Belvedere, Road Runner, Charger, GTX, Daytona Superbird, Savoy, Coronnet, 318, 340, 383,426, 440, 424 Hemi automatics.
A100 Vans and Pick ups 1/2 ton!

Oh and by the way if you are thinking on just get one and just trow it there, it wont happen, you need to narrow it to size and cut and respline axles!
SF5 FOZZY
toyota_james

Post by toyota_james »

I don't like the idea setting up coilovers that way.... Toyota didn't engineer the shock mounts to hold the weight of the car. The upper mount is laminated sheetmetal at best. And look at the lower mount. It's a piece of 3/16 strap with a threaded sleeve welded to it single shear. While I know it works, I wouldn't trust it in the long run.
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

toyota_james wrote:I don't like the idea setting up coilovers that way.... Toyota didn't engineer the shock mounts to hold the weight of the car. The upper mount is laminated sheetmetal at best. And look at the lower mount. It's a piece of 3/16 strap with a threaded sleeve welded to it single shear. While I know it works, I wouldn't trust it in the long run.
I know, by the way the lower shock brackets are 1/2 inch, to be exact 12mm, not 3/16, but it works just perfect, its being there for more than 4 years of daily driving in the GA awesomely ****** streets, and never a hickup, i will trust it forever but thats me, when we modified this cars obviously we override what toyota design, Toyota never tough or design the 3tc engine to be capable of 1000 plus hp or the factory te72 body to hold it, :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SF5 FOZZY