81 corolla rear coilovers?

General information for parts interchange and modification.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

toyota_james

Re: 81 corolla rear coilovers?

Post by toyota_james »

Well it might be 12mm but what is it welded to? A stamped piece 3mm? Like I said I personally wouldn't trust it. Maybe if you modified the lower mount to double sheer. You have to also take into account not only the static weight of the vehicle but also the shock load. Metal fatigue would also be a concern as you have a piece of 12mm with a stud welded to it that's welded to something a quarter of it's size with hundreds of shock load events happening every minute. And it's doing the same on the thin sheetmetal upper mount as well.

The pic above is a coilover. (The alignment collar and spring top hat can bee seen peaking through the hole.) I've seen at least one other example of the shock tower failing like above, but I couldn't find any other pics after doing a quick search. I've never seen or heard of anyone blowing out the rear shock tower without coilovers (I'm not saying it's never happened). Not only is the oem rear spring seat spread over a larger area than the shock tower, but there's a lot of reinforcement around the spring seat and almost none on the shock tower.
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

Well i never seen that happen an a toyota, by the way is that picture from a toyota car? cuz it looks more like a rally car or something similar, it could happen and i am aware of the metal fatigue and all that, but as i said, the one i did has being more than 4 years of daily use and abuse and nothing wrong with it whatsoever, not that it couldnt go south tomorrow but it is just perfect in every way,
SF5 FOZZY
toyota_james

Post by toyota_james »

Ha I'm not saying that it is guaranteed to fail. I'm saying that there's a possibility of it failing. The 86 in the picture looks to be a normal road car to me. It has carpet and appears to have the interior panel removed for inspection of the damage.

Now if I was planning on installing coilovers on my TE72 which I am, I would reinforce those two areas. Beefier double sheared lower mount and gusset the upper so it has more tie in with the rest of the body. Fail to plan then plan to fail. Why take a chance?
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

toyota_james wrote:Ha I'm not saying that it is guaranteed to fail. I'm saying that there's a possibility of it failing. The 86 in the picture looks to be a normal road car to me. It has carpet and appears to have the interior panel removed for inspection of the damage.

Now if I was planning on installing coilovers on my TE72 which I am, I would reinforce those two areas. Beefier double sheared lower mount and gusset the upper so it has more tie in with the rest of the body. Fail to plan then plan to fail. Why take a chance?
True that, i think is all about the setup, my customer car is being used as a daily as i state before for more than 4+ years and trust me well abused but the setup is not locked stiff if you follow me, and we have not seen any issue whatsoever, but now that i see that yeap is a good idea to reinforce the area around it either the way you said or with a rollcage bracket in that area as i seen before in other cars, in the bottom i think is ok but again it does not hurt to gusset the bracket from the back, 8-)
SF5 FOZZY
hemilove

Post by hemilove »

Toyota1515 wrote:
toyota_james wrote:I don't like the idea setting up coilovers that way.... Toyota didn't engineer the shock mounts to hold the weight of the car. The upper mount is laminated sheetmetal at best. And look at the lower mount. It's a piece of 3/16 strap with a threaded sleeve welded to it single shear. While I know it works, I wouldn't trust it in the long run.
I know, by the way the lower shock brackets are 1/2 inch, to be exact 12mm, not 3/16, but it works just perfect, its being there for more than 4 years of daily driving in the GA awesomely ****** streets, and never a hickup, i will trust it forever but thats me, when we modified this cars obviously we override what toyota design, Toyota never tough or design the 3tc engine to be capable of 1000 plus hp or the factory te72 body to hold it, :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DIY lol we are engineeres of a different kind. ;)
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

Like i said, Toyota build em right, we just make em AWESOME!
SF5 FOZZY
UtahSleeper

Post by UtahSleeper »

baldo wrote:I have seen set ups for the front and can get the parts. But I am more interested in the rear suspension. They sell good shocks but not coilovers or anything like that. Anybody has done this or know about a kit here in the US?
I am in a similar spot. I have been kind of looking for wider springs and coilover sleeves that would fit the rears of the TE7X. I figure it should be too hard to make a set like the rears on this kit.

http://lightningmotorsports.com/i-17224 ... MwodZQEANA

On that not, does anyone know the inside diameter of the springs on the rear of the TE7X/AE86?
Attempt at a car channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/UtahSleeper
1980 Corolla
1988 Celica Alltrac
2013 FR-S
hemilove

Post by hemilove »

UtahSleeper wrote:
baldo wrote:I have seen set ups for the front and can get the parts. But I am more interested in the rear suspension. They sell good shocks but not coilovers or anything like that. Anybody has done this or know about a kit here in the US?
I am in a similar spot. I have been kind of looking for wider springs and coilover sleeves that would fit the rears of the TE7X. I figure it should be too hard to make a set like the rears on this kit.

http://lightningmotorsports.com/i-17224 ... MwodZQEANA

On that not, does anyone know the inside diameter of the springs on the rear of the TE7X/AE86?
omg that price is crazy I have heared that the front coil over set up runs 50mm coilover tubes haha I guess that's what they call them I don't know what the rears are.
UtahSleeper

Post by UtahSleeper »

hemilove wrote: omg that price is crazy I have heared that the front coil over set up runs 50mm coilover tubes haha I guess that's what they call them I don't know what the rears are.
I don't care for the prices on the coilover setups available when in most cases you can do the front for dirt cheap. The rears are the big problem.

Does anyone know if there would be any ill effects if you used smaller diameter springs in the rear, if you changed the perchs to fit a new diameter?
Attempt at a car channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/UtahSleeper
1980 Corolla
1988 Celica Alltrac
2013 FR-S
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »