Basket case

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

larryw

Basket case

Post by larryw »

I bought a 3TC powered Triumph Spitfire. The PO's contemplated body and motor upgrades turned it into a basket case, and I got her for a good price.

When I first saw the car it was his daily driver, I really thought the 3TC belonged in there, it was such a tidy installation. At the time it had a stock intake manifold on it with the common replacement Weber 2bbl downdraft carb.

The stock manifold, the Weber and some cash got traded for a pair of Dellorto DHLA40 N sidedraft carburetors mounted on a short Mikuni manifold. Due to an interference between the dizzy, the manifold and the carb it never even got properly fitted up, let alone test run. So it all just sat until I picked it up.

The motor number is 3T 5861250, I believe it to be stock and unmolested (other than the carb swap). I have been told it has the 'good' cast iron exhaust manifold, which is installed with a thick (1") spacer at the head for steering shaft clearance. A two into one down pipe connects the manifold to a 1 3/4" pipe all the way back to the muffler. The ignition is a stock Toyota dizzy and round coil with the igniter control mounted to it's side.

I'm wondering about so much carb(s) and the Mikuni manifold's short large runners with a stock head and cam. Any thoughts on what I should I expect to do to get predictable performance from this combination, or maybe I should be looking for another stock intake manifold with a Weber?

This is not going to be a racecar. I do the 'high performance driving experience' days a couple times a year, and otherwise, I usually just go out early on Saturday and Sunday mornings for spirited drives on two lanes with little traffic, get breakfast and then go home.
Attachments
GetAttachment-1.aspx.jpeg
GetAttachment-1.aspx.jpeg (10.48 KiB) Viewed 4238 times
GetAttachment-1.aspx.jpeg (11.45 KiB) Viewed 4238 times
GetAttachment-1.aspx.jpeg (11.37 KiB) Viewed 4238 times
BOBLOOK

Re: Basket case

Post by BOBLOOK »

Try to get an headers and keep the dellorto, modified you ignition system for msd you will have an happier throttle response
The day we learn to think
hemilove

Re: Basket case

Post by hemilove »

bro go with my set up its bad ass and all 3tc should have them only thing is theres not enough cam nor fuel pressure

1998 r1 carbs on a 3tc responcive as can be no dought about it man daily driver no problems.