Fuel pump upgrade

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

Six1ohrollaz

Fuel pump upgrade

Post by Six1ohrollaz » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:32 am

My fuel pump took a shit on my 3tc I'm in the market for aftermarket electrical pump... As of now it's on the stock carb but I have a brand new weber 45 single carb I'm gonna throw on eventually my question is do I go with a low pressure pump? I remember reading on this forum when running side drafts it's good to go with a low pressure electrical pump? Can somebody shed some light on this?

baldo

Re: Fuel pump upgrade

Post by baldo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:54 am

You can get a carter pump or weber do sell pumps also. You can get them starting from $90. You want high volume low pressure, they are like 4-6 psi and flow like 35 gph.

Six1ohrollaz

Post by Six1ohrollaz » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:03 am

Ok Kool I know the stock mechanical pump is 12 gph I'm looking into this any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks the more I know the better the car will run and come together

toyotero2dend

Post by toyotero2dend » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:24 am

I was running dual 45s with the stock pump with no problems at all,,you don't need much to run webers
Tate Quieto

Six1ohrollaz

Post by Six1ohrollaz » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:42 am

toyotero2dend wrote:I was running dual 45s with the stock pump with no problems at all,,you don't need much to run webers
We'll my stock pump went.... trying to go with the new age and get a better more modern pump I'm not to thrilled with the old mechanical setup so I figure I'd take advantage of the situation :D

toyotero2dend

Post by toyotero2dend » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:24 am

I've used Holley 8 pound pump with a regulator , works good
Tate Quieto

Six1ohrollaz

Post by Six1ohrollaz » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:16 am

Great info guys thanx it's highly appreciated!

bubbajohnson

Post by bubbajohnson » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:56 am

I've used the Carter pump in this page for over 6 years in my wagon. It has run with weber downdraft carbs and my current dual 40mm DCOE carbs just fine. You do need to use a regulator, they say you don't, but that is bull, it over flows the carbs if you don't regulate it. I use a Mallory regulator, an inline pressure gauge and do have a return line to my fuel tank. [url]http://www.racetep.com/webfuelspark.html#webfuel[\url]
My brother uses this fuel pump and regulator with an inline pressure gauge on his single DCOE on a te72 lift back, but needed to hook up a return line. We used a T fitting that normally goes from carb to carb on a dual carb set up and simply connected the T to the fuel return line. It works great!
[url]http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-1 ... /overview/[\url]

Grumpy3TC

Post by Grumpy3TC » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:06 am

Holley RED and holley regulator to 4 or 5 PSI the most,You should have no problemas . Weber like low PSI WEBER books recommend 4 or 5 psi the most!For N/A aspirated or all motor how ever u like to said.
MY 3tc is so Grumpy! I feel like eating one or two Rotaries for breakfast today!

cousin eddy

Post by cousin eddy » Wed May 28, 2014 6:55 am

If you're going to run electric on an engine that isnt heavily modifed I would implement a bypass return if you can as they tend to flow way more than needed and will burn up when they start dead heading all day. Holley Red will be overkill at 97 gph. If your stock pump already incorporates a bypass like mine does all you need is a brass tee block and toss a small diameter hose back to it. If not then its a shit ton more work.